12 August 2007

Wanting Your Input-Christians and Fitness

I spent a little time doing a web search for articles and information about the relevancy of physical fitness in a Christian's life and/or Biblical precedents for the same.

Two search engines produced little relevant material. Before I share my opinion, I'd like to know what other's think. So I'd like to ask you to add your comments to this blog and tell me what you believe/think/feel about the importance of physical fitness in a Christian's life. I've also included a simple poll as well to track general opinion.

Please point your friends towards this post, as I would like to get as much feedback on this topic as possible. For my friends in ministry, if you don't mind, ask your peers to comment as well.

I promise to share my opinion this week, but I first want to satisfy my curiosity about what others think.

Thanks in advance for your input.

1 comment:

21k said...

I sometimes ponder the relationship between physical fitness and spiritual fitness. I usually wonder about the question early in the morning when I am trying to decide whether or not I want to go for a run. I ask myself, “do I really need to run?” On those days I am tempted to take a more “spiritual” route, and say that physical fitness isn’t that important.

What I have found to be true for me is that I am asking the wrong question. I can stoically proclaim that the physical doesn’t matter since my body isn’t going to last forever. Or, I can take the carnal approach and say that my physical fitness must come first because we live in a physical world. It isn’t a matter of which one is more important. They are both essential for my spiritual, physical and emotional well being. Often, my physical workouts give me an opportunity for solitude and spiritual reflection.

A friend of mine did an extensive research project on this subject recently. He studied pastors and their physical and spiritual fitness, and he found some correlations between physical and spiritual fitness. While his research doesn’t prove that physical and spiritual fitness have a casual relationship, his study does indicate that there is likely a relationship between the two.

I believe that we have a responsibility to take care of both our physical and spiritual bodies. We are called to be warriors in the name of Christ. In order to do battle for a lifetime, we must have the physical stamina to persevere and the spiritual discipline to fight the good fight.