14 August 2007

Physically Fit Christian

First of all you can check my daily and weekly mileage totals in the left hand column instead of me creating a new post each day.

My evening has slipped away as I've tried to address work issues while sitting in my hotel room, so I'll just briefly touch on physical fitness in a Christians life and expand on it a bit later.

You'll notice that one person commented on the previous post and mentioned a friend doing research on this very topic. 21k is a close friend and we've discussed this topic before. I was aware of his friends research, but never had an opportunity to learn what came of it. I'm grateful he took the time to respond with that info and his opinion as well.

As a kid I remember being taught that our bodies are God's temple, and that we should take care of them. I'm not sure of the theological legitimacy behind that statement, and not sure it is important anyway. What is important is that this formed a belief in me that has not always kept me away from bad foods and eating habits, but did play a large role in keeping my away from drugs and alcohol as a teenager. This carried over into my adult life and has had a role in limiting my use of alcohol and driving me to attempt to keep in good shape.

I believe there are Biblical examples which point towards God's desire for us to maintain healthy lifestyles and physical fitness and I think the discipline necessary for healthy living has a correlation to living a spiritually fit life.

I'll expand more and try to support my beliefs later, but for now, I'm going to try to get the rest that the body needs as well.

Thanks to everyone who has voted on the poll, and ask your friends to vote their opinion.

No comments: