11 August 2007

I'm Content

Well I wrapped up the week in good shape. I showed up to use my new "Y" membership at 7:25 this morning and discovered they didn't open on Saturday until 8. I decided to hit the road for a few miles and wound up finding a nice new route full of hills and logged 5 miles out and back to the "Y". After a little Ab work I did 2 more on the treadmill, bringing my week total to 30 miles.

"Old Lion Syndrome" reared it's ugly head at the gym today. My injury is still sticking around, yes I know you're tired of hearing about it, and it limits the intensity of my Ab workouts. I had the "crunch" machine set on 50 lbs of resistance and felt every one. I was then followed by a lady who upped my weight stack by 20 lbs and handled it easily. Now nothing against you ladies, but this lady did not appear to fit into the bodybuilder/aerobics instructor/athlete category. She was followed by a gentleman who appeared to be 1/2 my size and 20+ years my senior...you guessed it, he doubled my stack for his workout.

The treadmill was my next run in with "Old Lion Syndrome" today. The lady on the treadmill beside me was running much faster than the 10 minute pace I set for myself. I wanted to tell her, "hey, I'm just polishing off my work out. Already did 5 miles out on the road. So how many you gonna do?" Instead, I bumped my pace up to 9 minute miles and was grateful when she slowed down.

My last experience with the "OLS" actually led to my title for this blog. As I was climbing into my SUV, an attractive young lady exited a Mazda Miata just down from where I parked. In this situation "OLS" makes one wish to be noticed positively by the opposite sex. Now don't misunderstand my honesty here. I love my lioness, but to be noticed by another just makes an Old Lion feel like he still has some fight left in him.

Some of you already know that if I say I was in my SUV, I was referring to our boat towing vehicle. This would be a 1988 Ford Bronco, with a black primer hood, rusted door panels, over sized off road tires, and a fair number of dents and faded paint spots. While it has gotten us through snow covered roads, where its bumper was pushing snow, it is not a babe magnet. Why couldn't I have been in my Chevy Cobalt? Well, I don't guess a base model compact is going to impress her either. My wife's car? Nope the Mini Van won't cut it. Uggghhh...I have nothing red, fast, and sexy in my driveway.

I laughed out loud as the thought crossed my mind. I didn't care. Really, and to be honest it shocked me that I didn't care. I was on my way home, and while my fleet of vehicles screams cheap, economical, and family, I was content knowing that in more ways than one I was unmistakably labeled as a family man. This Old Lion is content to have a faithful lioness and 3 rambunctious cubs.

There is a current Country song that has become my theme song of late.(As is usually the case I like the song but don't know who sings it). The following words ring true every time I hear them. "I'm a lucky man, God's given me a pretty fair hand, I've got a house and a piece of land, a few dollars in a coffee can. My old truck's still running good, my tickers ticking like they say it should. I've got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and one more day to be my little kids dad. Yeah, I'm a lucky man."

May God grant me the wisdom to always be content with what he has blessed me with.

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)

No comments: