22 August 2007

Travelin' Man

NUTRITION
How much do you think about it? Depending on your goals and purpose for running, it can have a huge impact or perhaps none at all. If you're running for weight loss, you have to make sure you watch your calorie intake, and performance is likely not a huge issue, your goal is to burn calories. If your happy with where you're at, you may be fortunate to eat just about anything you want, and as long as you don't consume a 1/2 gal. of Ice Cream each night, maintain your weight and even meet some performance goals. If your goal is performance, you've got to make sure you fuel your body properly each day, all day.

I fall somewhere within the last two categories, and occasionally in the 1st category, when I've gained a couple of unwanted pounds. Today's run reinforced the need for proper nutrition.

I left on an early flight, breakfast was a 410 calorie meal bar and 2 bananas. Lunch came approximately 7 hours later and consisted of a Salmon Caesar Salad with about 3 ozs. of Salmon, if that much. I planned on running before dinner, approximately 31/2 hours after lunch.

Recognizing that the only source of carbs I had consumed, since breakfast, was a cookie and a handful of Hot Tamales candies, I ate the other half of the pack of candies and headed out. The first 1.75 miles went well and I gobbled up the distance at a sub 8 min/mi pace. That's when my fuel supply ran dry. The hilly course along Lake Superior depleted my energy reserves quickly and forced me to take two short walk breaks during my 5 mile run.

I had a decent run overall, logging 5 miles at an average 8:26 per mile. Actually, that's a pretty good training run, but the way I felt during and after left a lot to be desired. Post run dinner was, unfortunately, Mexican. I tried to stay as healthy as possible, pushing the corn chips away after eating a few for carb replenishment, and then trying to be smart in what I placed on my fajitas. I miss being home, the watermelon in the fridge is calling me and I'd settle for an apple.

Remember be smart about what you eat and fuel yourself for good runs and workouts! Even if your goal is conditioning and weight loss/management, eating properly will help you get the most out of your runs and workouts.

Running Where?
Today finds me logging my miles along Lake Superior in Duluth, MN. This is a wonderful small city of around 87,000 people and this is my first time to be here and not be running in sub 20 degree weather. I've added a list in the left hand column of all the places I've run. There are three other cities, but I can not remember if I ran outside or only did treadmill work, so I've left them off. My camera's batteries are dead, so I couldn't get a photo of the sailboats on the lake as I ran today, but I've included pictures from my April trip, showing what it looks like where I'm running, and a couple of views that I experienced while running in Hawaii. Heaven knows I'd rather be home with my family, but when I look back on this period in my life, hopefully I'll smile when I think of the places I've had the opportunity to log my miles.












No comments: