27 August 2007

Something New

With the Utica 5K on my calendar for this weekend, I'm trying to log some endurance miles early this week, so I put in 7 miles after work today in Des Moines. The temperature was low 90's and humid, and I only took a 10 oz bottle of water. Duhhh!

Luckily there was a "Stop and Rob" just up the street from the hotel. I wrapped up my run there and purchased a Propel Water, a Gatorade, and an Accerlerade.

I downed the Accelerade as soon as I stepped out of the store....

This is the first time I had seen it in the store. My only other knowledge of it was that some well known endurance/ultra marathoners/tri-atheletes were part of the marketing efforts. Accelerade supposedly advances the sports drink by adding Whey Protein to create a drink with a 4:1 Carb to Protein ratio. This is a frequently touted mixture for consumption after a run to aid in muscle repair.

Other than the protein, the nutrition numbers are comparable to Gatorade. Those of us who have consumed Protein shakes in the past will recognize the slight after taste, but it isn't bad, just not the same sweet taste of Gatorade. As with any other gel, bean, or drink it poses the risk for gastrointestinal issues. I didn't experience any of consequence, and what little I had was just as likely to have been a result of the exertion, not the drink.

If you're considering some endurance training or a hard day of pick up basketball, it is worth consideration and trial.

....I felt instantly better, I had found the nectar of the gods. OK, I was just glad to have something cold to drink, and the shot of sugar was a welcome jolt to my depleted body. I'll give it a try on a long run and see how it does compared to my tried and true Gatorade. With the aforementioned 5K coming up, I'm shooting for a mid-week 10 or 12 miler (if I can get up early enough), I'll let you know the results.

Check out the new Poll, more interactive fun...now if I can just figure out how to download the coloring sheets and picture pages. (Any Captain Kangaroo fans remember Picture Pages??)

No comments: