12 June 2007

When no one is around

Today I attempted to do speed work, something I read about, something I hear is key to improving my times, but something I just can't motivate myself to do consistantly.

Speed work comes in several forms and training methods. Intervals, Fartleks, Track Work Outs, Tempo Runs and who knows what else. To date, I've done intervals, which includes running a specified distance or time at a pre-determined pace, recovering for a period of of time or distance and so on and so on. I've done Tempo Runs, which is holding your pace some where between comfortable and race pace for a given distance or time, and this morning I'm guessing I did Fartleks. Based on the definitions I have read, Fartleks are periods of easy and hard running with little structure. They are intended to be fun and varied.

This morning I woke up late, realized I needed to squeeze in a quality run, and so after a warm up mile I started running at a sub 5K race pace for as long as I could hold it, then slowing my pace until I recovered my breathing and did it again. Distance goals were marked by telephone poles and street signs. If you're wondering, I didn't think they were fun.

During my run I realized that no one else would know if I slacked off, didn't run all the way to my preset goal or cut my run short. No one would even care, no one would suffer, and heck I could make up for it later. Then I realized that I had the same temptations in my life. Do I live the same way when no one is looking? Does God see the same person that I project to others?

In the end I pushed through my last hard run portion, being certain not to cheat myself by pulling up short of the stop sign that marked my finish. I finished with a easy pace for the last 1/2 mile reminding myself that pushing through when it gets hard and sticking to what I know I need to do is the only way I'm going to get better, in running or in life.

No comments: