17 June 2007

Tid Bits

Nothing profound today, as if any of my writings ever will be, just a couple of "tid bits".

First some news from the Southern Indiana Christian Runners front. A good friend of mine who was responsible for getting me started and hooked on running competed this week in San Antonio, Texas. He is the sole member of the SICR, West Virginia chapter and was competing at a 5k run/walk held in conjunction with the Southern Baptist Convention. He placed 6th overall with a time of 21:40, not a PR, but a great run anyhow, and though I'm not sure he'll admit it, he probably did enjoy out running a bunch of other pastors.

Saturday marked my first attempt at a long run of over 7 miles since competing in the KDF Mini. I logged a 9 mile run, holding a respectable pace and walking through my water breaks. I'm getting the urge again and I think it is time to start getting ready for my fall marathon, might as well start a little earlier this year, and thankfully I have a better base from which to start.

Speaking of water breaks, be sure to hydrate properly for your summer runs. I have a bad habit, from my winter time long runs, of hydrating as I go. In other words I head straight out the door and drink as I go from the bottles on my "fuel belt". I learned Saturday that I need to take a little time to get some fluids in me before I head out, as four 12 oz bottles of water just barely got me through the 9 miler, and I came in suffering some mild dehydration.

I am planning on running the Founder's Day Race in Charlestown, this will be the first 5K I've run since January, so I'm anxious to see if I can match my PR, since we will be running a cross country route. To save $5 on your entry fee, be sure to sign up before June 23.

Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Is there a website in which we can register??

James said...

No website.

Looks like you'll need to pick up a registration form (the race brochure)from Pacers and Racers and mail it in.

There is race day registration on race day from 7am to 7:45am.