09 September 2007

Why is WINNING a dirty word?

Saturday brought with it opening day of the Fall soccer season for my 5 year old. This season looked promising. At the one practice held prior to the season my son looked pretty good, drawing a post practice comment from the coach and leaving me wondering if he shouldn't have moved up an age level, since he is pushing six.

Game day was a disaster. Instead of my "6" year old dominating the younger competition, he stood, playing defense, or rather playing with his shirt tail and staring in our direction after any feeble attempt at getting involved in play. Thankfully the quarter ended and he came over for a drink. At this point I'm sure some of the surrounding mothers, his own included, thought I was the over zealous "sports dad". Believe what you will, but when it comes to my kids, I've learned to keep my competitiveness in check. I know my son, and a little tough love and old school coaching was in order. After I made sure he was good and mad, he headed back onto the field only to be sent right back to the sideline, he was sitting out the second quarter.

As I said before, believe what you will, but I'm not "sports dad", so after allowing him to "stew" a bit on the sideline, I went over and sat down beside him. I talked about how and why he needed to play to his potential and do his best, to which he responded, "It doesn't matter it's not a game...I mean it's a game, but nobody's keeping score."

I'll tell you how the game ended in a moment, but first I need to vent. What are we teaching our kids with these "don't keep score, everyone's a winner, self esteem, group hug, feel good about yourself" leagues? My son wasn't having his self esteem boosted, he saw no reason to play his best because it didn't matter. He was willing to coast through the game, with no idea of what he should be trying to accomplish or even why he should be trying to score a goal.

Part of developing our children should include developing their character. How does my son learn to be a "good winner" if he is not allowed to win? How does he learn to be a "good loser" if he never has to suffer defeat? I grew up in an era when every game, even the earliest Tee Ball games, resulted in a winner and a loser. I never felt poorly about myself because I lost a game, but instead learned to hate the feeling and strive to avoid it. Through losing, I learned the joy of winning, and the winning was something I wanted to have again and again. At ten years old I had a little league football coach who now seems to have been the embodiment of Mick, Rocky Balboa's manager. While his language may have left something to be desired, he had a desire to see us succeed. He got me, a 49 pound ten year old, to go head to head with 100+ pound 12 year olds. Yes, they were bigger than I was, but I held my own, because that was what was expected. You got knocked down. You got up again.

I've lived a blessed life with only a few bumps along the way, but like everyone, I've faced my challenges. Each time I find myself wanting to give in, I can't, I don't want to lose. The desire to be a winner has gotten me through troubled relationships, poor life decisions, and is a necessitate to survive in my chosen profession. The drive I learned on the courts and fields has been proven time after time. Let's teach our kids to be winners!

My son went back out and played goalie in the third quarter. He did the best I've ever seen him do. He missed one ball, giving up a goal which put the other team up 1-0. The fourth quarter found him playing offense. He scored 2 goals, moving the ball up the field like I knew he was capable of and the game ended with his team winning 2-1. On the way home I asked him whether it felt better to stand back and do nothing, or to score goals? He liked scoring the goals. He became excited when we informed him that we were keeping score, that his team had won, and that his two goals had won the game for them. I won't lie, it's a feeling I hope he enjoyed and one he wants to feel again. There is no shame in losing a well fought contest, but there is nothing that compares with a hard fought victory!

4 comments:

Brian said...

Beyond a doubt, one of the bests blog posts I've read in quite a while!

I wholeheartedly agree with you! The only way to learn to win is to experience losing. The only way to learn how great it feels to win is to actually win.

My son received a trophy for soccer a couple of years ago. It meant nothing to him because every team received one. Even church basketball leagues are like this.

An official with Upwards! basketball 2 years ago instructed all the parents to not keep score and not to yell for their own kids or clap when they scored.

I did all three and would again. My son needs to know I'm both pushing and cheering him on. And I'm not even a competitive person by nature. But I know that in real life, he'll experience loss and wins. And I want him to know how to handle both with grace and humility.

Thanks again for the post.

Anonymous said...

I could not have said it any better myself. Fantastic blog!

Not keeping score takes all of the feeling out of the game and the drive to succeed away from our kids.

I believe that we are doing our children a great disservice by not keeping score or not "hurting anyone's feelings". They are being taught that mediocrity is acceptable and to not always strive to do their best in anything they do. Their school work will suffer, test taking will suffer, and careers will suffer.

There is nothing in the world today that is not competitive, so why would we not teach competition to our children?

James said...

Thanks guys for commenting, glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think a big issue is that parents think their kids have to be involved in "organized" league play. Yes I want my son to enjoy sports like Jina and I do, but to be honest, at this point in his life I'm happy with him running around out back with the neighborhood kids for an hour. We have not involved him in Tee Ball yet for the simple fact that Baseball is a very structured slow paced sport which we've found while playing at home, doesn't hold his attention.

Speaking of playing in the back yard, don't the kids usually have a winner and loser? Seems I recall somebody always "won" in "Cowboys and Indians", "Keep Away", "Hot Box", "Red Rover"...gee whiz, I'm surprised I'm a functioning member of society, think of all the times my self esteem was crushed.

Thanks for the support guys and yes I'm keeping score.

Brian said...

My son enjoys organized sports, but we don't push it. I don't even watch sports on TV- at all! Like a few runners/cyclists I know, I AM my sport :-)

If Trent didn't like playing, we wouldn't have him play. That said, once he commits, we want him to learn steadfastness by following through with practices and staying with it.