23 September 2007

Small Blessing, Lessons Learned, and I'm Gonna Run

Small Blessings...

1)Weekend car repair projects that go faster than expected.
2)Car repairs that are not as bad as you thought.
3)Free time spent hanging out with the family, instead of making car repairs.
4)A 32 year old motor home that is finally road and camping worthy.
5)Seeing your kid do well in a game.

Lessons Learned...
1)Neighbors with experience working on cars need simply to walk over look at the offending vehicle to make a vehicle, that had refused to start for 2 weeks, start right up.
2)You feel kind of lost when a project is completed (1975 motor home) and you have to wait 2 weeks to use it (Camping Somewhere).
3)Runners are like motorcyclist. There are those who have gone down and those who will. (I'm now in the first category.)
4)Board games with your wife and 6 year old can top any college football games on TV.
5)Building endurance by doing Squats immediately after a 4 mile treadmill run sounds good, makes you feel invincible at the gym, and hurts like heck for days after. What was I thinking?

I'm Gonna Run...
NOTE TO ALL: Deciding to run a new route in the dark at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning is not the brightest idea. You are likely to discover that the busy road you thought had an emergency lane, doesn't. Also, you may discover that running along the edge of the asphalt in the dark works well, until the edge of the asphalt has given way. If you're lucky you'll walk away with only a bruised ego and a few seconds of lost time searching for the water bottle that was catapulted from it's strapping.
The above message was a public service announcement, brought to you by the National Association of Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.

I have found a fall marathon that will correspond with my schedule. I'll be running in the inaugural "Run for NO Reason Marathon". As of this posting, the route has yet to be determined, but the race organizer has assured me he will let me know as soon as he has figured it out. The race will be run on either October 27 or the following weekend. The field of runners is an impressive list, consisting of Me, Myself, and I.

Yep, I decided my goal was to run a marathon, so that is what I'm going to do. Once I determine my route, which may be from my home to roughly New Washington, IN, I'll post it. If anyone wants join me for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 26.2 miles or anything in between, I'd be glad to have the company anywhere along the chosen route. I'll post more details as I figure them out. You may like the entry fee? My wife did. It is free.

No comments: