19 September 2007

Home













Well I'm back home, and working from home today, so I'm taking a moment to update my Blog page. I've added NY, NY to the places I've run, put up my Tuesday and Wednesday mileage and changed my sons age from 5 to 6 on my profile (HAPPY BIRTHDAY J-ROD) and thought I'd write a couple of lines.

New York is an interesting place, and if you get the chance, I encourage you to visit. I spent most of my time for the conference in Times Square (Broadway), but did manage to scrounge the time to see the following; Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty (from the ferry), Ground Zero, Wall Street, The Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, a Yankee's game at Yankee Stadium, and Central Park in the dark, running at 5 am and in the daylight on my last day.

Had I seen the park in the daylight prior to running, I wouldn't have survived. Luckily, in the dark you didn't see the hills 'til you got to them.

Ground Zero was blocked out by construction fencing, but being in the area gave new perspective to that day. The streets in this oldest part of NYC are narrow, the photos and video from that day don't give the proper perspective. Reminders are everywhere, names of falling PD and FD members adorn stations and vehicles.

Within a few blocks of the site are several old denominations standing among the skyscrapers. Next to one, St. Peters Cathedral, stands the steel beam Cross you see in the photos. It stands there waiting for it's permanent home among other symbols of that day.

Don't believe what you've seen in the movies, New York is very clean, considering the number of people. The people I dealt with were very nice, one gentleman offered his assistance when our group seemed to be figuring out the Subway map. (We actually had an experienced member of the group, but had chosen the spot for a conversation while waiting for the bus.)

Despite being down on the depth, or should I say heighth, chart, the Empire State Building is impressive. Even more so considering when it was constructed. When downtown, or uptown, or midtown, its height is masked by the heighth of other buildings and it's proximity to them. When viewing the skyline or from its observation deck, it is apparent it is still king of the city.

While impressive, I can't help but remember seeing the skyscrapers of Denver, with the Rocky Mountains as the backdrop. Man's greatest accomplishments are nothing compared to the works and wonders of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic entry. Alicia took me to New York a few years ago for a birthday present. Nothing like a Yankees game at Yankee Stadium in September.

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and I would echo the suggestion that everyone try to visit NY. While I don't think that I would like the hustle & bustle of living there. It was great being a tourist!

James said...

I agree. I liked visiting, but no place I'd want to live. That applies to anywhere that the concrete covers more ground than the grass.