04 September 2007

Just to Write Something

It is getting late here in Nashville, but I just had to write something to get my blogging fix.

In the most recent issue of Runner's World magazine there is an article about running sprints uphill to build leg strength.

I tried this today on the treadmill, with a bit of a twist. After a warm up mile, rather than full out sprints for 10 seconds, I held a sub 5K pace for 30 second intervals, on a 6 degree incline. This makes it easier to adjust the speed and incline up and down, then recover at a moderate pace and .5 incline until recovered. Repeat. Then a 1/2 mile cool down.

Anyway, it made a three mile run go quickly and broke up the monotony of running on the treadmill. Give it a try next time you get bored on the treadmill.

3 comments:

Brian said...

I used to do the same. I'd hit an anaerobic pace at an incline (though not a sprint), hold it for as long as I could, then back way down to recover, then repeat.

Another fun treadmill workout is "song fartleks." I'd alternate songs- one song I'd run fairly slow, the next I'd run at a pace that is pushing it and not slow down until the song ended. Back and forth for up to 12 miles. Made the time go by much quicker.

Peace,
Brian

Brian said...

Family balance is always an issue with running. Fortunately, running is something that can be fit into a schedule. I often take my shoes and shorts with me when I'm out meeting with people and counseling. Then I can grab a run whenever the time becomes available.

Which trail marathon are you considering?

I used to run pavement exclusively, then switched to treadmills for my knees and now I'm out running trails most of the year.

The problem with trail running in my area is that you have to watch each step for rocks, tree roots, etc. I twisted my ankle earlier this year and it was 3 months before I could run regularly again!

Godspeed on your upcoming race, bro!

James said...

I hope to survive the Louisville Marathon in October and then complete a trail marathon in Bloomington, IN in early December.