24 September 2007

"Poser"

Do you regcognize the term used for my title. It is slang for someone who is pretending to be something, someone who is not the genuine article, someone who "talks the talk", but doesn't "walk the walk".

I felt like a poser this morning. My Bible had collected dust for at least three weeks. While packing Sunday night, I grabbed it and tossed it in my bag. On the flight to Chicago, I slept, really slept. The flight attendant had to wake me up after everyone else had deplaned, I never felt the landing. For the flight to Fayetteville, AR, I pulled the Bible from my carry on and searched for something to read. My NIV study Bible's intro for the book of Judges aroused my curiosity, so I started reading. I read for the entire flight.

As the flight attendant made her last round prior to landing, she paused and said, "I wish I was that dedicated.", referring to me reading the Bible. I wanted to crawl under my seat, "POSER" should have flashed in Times Square Neon across my forehead. She told me her personal Bible was large, cumbersom and hard to carry along with all her other gear, so I recommended she check out Border's for something smaller and easier to carry. We talked briefly and when she confessed to being behind in her reading, I confessed mine as well, but I'm not sure she believed me.

Once while visiting the Lifeway store in Nashville, another patron struck up a conversation with me and then asked if I was a pastor. When I answered, "No", he proceeded to tell me that I looked like one and sounded like one. I took it as a compliment, at least I think it was, but felt embarrased and assured him nothing could be further from the truth.

Both circumstances made me feel uneasy, as though I was pretending. While I projected one image to both of these individuals, I wasn't fooling God, he is aware of my shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, as a Christian it is important to project ourselves in a positve manner to the world, but more importantly it is our life long relationship with God that matters most. The Pharisees knew the letter of the law, but as Jesus pointed out, they missed the intent. So rather than just go through the motions once in a while, I know that I've got to sustain my relationship with God and with Christ. Going through the motions makes me a "POSER".

1 John 2:3-5 (New International Version)
3We know that we
have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him,"
but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if
anyone obeys his word, God's love[
a]
is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:

Matthew 7:20-23 (New International Version)
21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

5 comments:

Brian said...

Hmmm...once again, you've spurred some thought in me. About projecting ourselves in a positive manner to the world- what do you mean? Maybe it's just me, but I think the world around us would benefit from authenticity and transparency.

For instance, if I'm telling someone who's considering divorce about how perfect my relationship with my wife, he immediately understands that I can't identify. Or worse- realizes that I'm just being a..."poaer."

If, on the other hand, I tell him that I have rough times with my wife and that there are times I've wanted to leave but didn't because of commitment. And that God has blessed that commitment and our relationship continues to grow. Well, then he's seen truth in me and it may encourage him to do the same.

I come from a hyper-legalistic background (saved at 20 yrs old), so I tend to run from anything that relates to my image rather than my authenticity (flaws and all) in my faith as I live in this world.

What say you? Am I totally off? (I could VERY WELL be!)

Oh- the Matt.7 verses are great. Esp. when cross-referenced with Matthew 13:24-30 (wheat and tares). I'm convinced a number of church people will be absolutely flabbergasted when they realize they don't get to go to heaven just because they stayed in a church and did religious stuff.

When Jesus says, "I never knew you," the word literally means he was never "in" them. They had never received Jesus and been filled with the Spirit as a result.

Thanks again for a thought-provoking post, bro. And good on ya for running your own marathon. Hopefully a family member will provide some aid stations for water, gatorade, etc.

Brian said...

Make that word in the second paragraph "poser". Sorry.

James said...

For me, projecting a positive image is exactly what you described. Not putting on a "front", but rather letting people see Christians for who we are, faults and all, but still loved and forgiven.

As for the marathon, I'll likely start out with a "fuel belt" and have my wife meet me with my camel back when it runs dry. She's been very supportive of the idea...I think it might be because it doesn't cost $70 dollars to run..

Anonymous said...

"You look and sound like a pastor" was an insult :) HA!

Chris Gustafson
http://www.easternheights.blogspot.com/

Brian said...

Yeah, I think that is a positive image because it's real, authentic and points to God, not us.

Chris Gustafson is probably right :-)