07 September 2007

"After the boys of Summer have gone..."

This was/is one of my favorite songs, but it always evokes thoughts of a time of year I've never liked. The end of Summer. The arrival of Fall.

Even when new school years held excitement and anticipation and the arrival of Fall put me one step closer to hunting season, the shorter days left me longing for more time, more Summer. This feeling came knocking the other night as I drove back from Nashville. Passing Slugger Field, it's lights off, seats empty until "there's new grass on the field..." (another favorite tune), my mind began to churn. What had I not done this summer? Man, another summer with more time spent traveling and not with my kids. Why hadn't I... fill in the blank..?

As I crossed the bridge into Indiana, mixed in with these thoughts was, "Would I be saying the same thing if Christ returned today?" "Are there family members and friends I'll regret not sharing the Gospel with?" "Will I wish there was one more day?"

The neat part of my job is the places I've been and the things I've seen. The pain is that only once have I been able to share them with my wife and kids. I'm left thinking I need to do more to make sure I don't have that same feeling when God calls his people home. I need to take the time and share my faith. If nothing else, to make sure they know what gives me hope and who sees me through the hard times.

Proverbs 20:4 (New International Version)

4 A sluggard does not plow in season;
so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.

2 comments:

21k said...

Thanks for your transparency and a thought provoking post.

donnas said...

If Christ returned today have I done all I can to let friends, family and people around me to know him? James, I question this constantly, I was never a very religious person in my past and most still do not see me in that light, they still do not see the Love of Christ I have in my heart.
I think we all wonder if we have done enough, reached out enough.
Keep searching for the anser through Christ.
Donna