09 July 2007

Week 3-Day 15

Weather: Inside
Distance: 3.5 miles
Week Total: 3.0 miles
Type: Treadmill
Pace: 8:34 per mile - 3 miles .5 mile cool down

Tread mill did the trick, little stiff, but no major pains. Our treadmill has adjustable platform cushioning, and the softer surface seems to have done the trick and gave me reason to get a new pair of shoes.

I almost broke up a long term relationship today. My first pair of properly fitted running shoes was a pair of New Balance 766. I continued with the NBs after the 767 replaced the 766.

Today I tried on a pair of Saucony and a pair of Mizuno. Mike at the store questioned my unfaithfulness to the 767, I justified my "wandering eyes" with some weak excuse as I flirted with both of the sexy new shoes, took them out for a short jog, I liked them both. I was torn I didn't have to justify myself to anyone. The thought of something new and different was so intriguing, and felt so right. Yet in the back of my mind I could feel that something was not right, a knot in my stomach casting a shadow of doubt across my thoughts and feelings.

I put on a new pair of 767s and took a slow jog out the door, but stopped after only going half the distance I had in the other shoes. I knew what I wanted, what I needed. I decided to dance with the one who brought me, and walked out with a new pair of 767s.

Maybe they're not flashy or sexy, but they've seen me through some tough times, my highs and my lows. My victories and my agonies. The GPS has been left at home, the MP3 player left behind, and different shorts and shirts have accompanied me on my runs, but the 766/767 has been there from the start, patient, comforting, forgiving, reassuring.

Now if I'm forgiven, I'll resume our relationship tomorrow and start logging miles again.

3 comments:

21k said...

Will you never learn?

Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well. Pr. 5:15.

Your wandering ways will kill you in the end. What runner worth even half his salt would even think of switching shoes. You can look, but don’t touch. Better yet, don’t even look.

Hope you guys have fun on the islands.

21k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

I'll pluck out my eye now!