26 July 2007

20 ozs of Coke in a 12 oz Can

I didn't run this morning, couldn't get out of bed, which got me thinking. Why? Why didn't I get up?

Let me recap yesterday for you.
0600 4 mile run
0800 Work
1800 Grocery
1900 Home and playing with kids
1920 Dinner (cram in 10 more minutes of playing with my kids)
2000 Leave for Softball Game
2200 Stop at store on the way home, complete earlier errand.
2215 Get home, put away toys in back yard (chance of rain)
2225 Take Shower
2245 Break out computer to update Blog and eat watermelon (no the computer wasn't necessary for eating watermelon)
2330 Lay down in bed, converse with wife recapping the day and catching up.
0015 Lights out.

Tonight will require Kindergarten orientation for my oldest and then Jina will be off to play softball. Somewhere in between is dinner. Running is pretty much out of the question, unless I opt for the treadmill after the kids are in bed. I'm not happy. I hate missing a run for no good reason.

What else am I missing out on because I'm trying to put 25 hours into a 24 hour day? Why can't I slow down? Priorities!

Like most Americans, my priorities are way out of whack. Like many Christians, I'm too locked in to what this world has to offer. While driving to work this morning, grumbling about not running, I started to rank my priorities. The categories were: God, Family, Friends, Myself, and Work. Those are not listed in my ranked order. How would you rank them?

OK, as Christians, we know that at the top of our list is God. Right? Now think about your typical day for a minute. No one else is going to know your answers. Is God really #1, or does he fall into place somewhere between family and work, or soccer practice and your social obligations? Now where does your family rank? After reflection, did your list stay the same as when I first posed the question? Anything you want to change?

Well for me there are definitely some things out of order. More work to do on project James.

"The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature." Luke 8:14
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God." Colossians 3:1



"Turn your eyes upon Jesus.
Look full in His wonderful face.
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
in the light of His glory and grace."

3 comments:

21k said...

I have also been thinking about my priorities lately. I don’t have nearly as much going on as you do, and it is still a challenge.

I think that my automatic response is that God is my first priority simply because I know that He is the “correct” answer. I would like to think that my list would go something like God, family, church (not sure if church and work are the same for me), friends, myself. In practice, I think that my first priority is myself. As much as I like to think that I am altruistic, I spend far too much time thinking about myself and what I want/need to do.

I agree with your solution to my myopia.

James said...

I think I would have to say mine goes something like

Work, Family, Myself, God, Friends.

Maybe not, I just know that God doesn't seem to be my daily focus.

I thank him when things go "good" and start praying when things go "bad", but in between I seem to forget about Him.

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

That is exactly what I do. Thanks for the good things and HELP for the bad things! I have been thinking about this a lot lately!