14 January 2008

Service

OK, it's late, and I've got a drive ahead of me tomorrow, so this will be short.

Yesterday I melted down, the full blown, "Why don't I ever get time for myself, to run my errands and just relax. Why is always someone else's wants or needs in front of mine!" In all honesty, I think you can throw one mild expletive (are there mild expletives)into the sentence. Anyway I ruined an entire afternoon and evening.

This morning I left the gym and decided to catch the taped sermon broadcast of one of the local churches.(7:30-8:00 am, Southeast Christian, if you live in the Louisville area and are interested). Well what do you think the sermon was on. No, not expletives. Service, and of course the supporting scripture was Jesus washing the disciples feet and the ensuing instructions.

Here's the passage if you want to read it.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=13&version=31&context=chapter

Anyway, work was a day filled with, you guessed it serving others. Clients, my subordinates, and as I was driving home, a phone call to help get my boss set up in a room, because he had forgot to do so and I thought it was better for me to make the call than for him to stay at work and miss out on time with his kids before he traveled.

Anyway, I'm no saint, as my rant proves, but as much as I hate it when things pile up and I don't seem to get "my stuff" done, (I still haven't made it to the store to get the things I went out for Saturday night), I like how it feels to know I helped someone out. I'm sure someone will tell me that the scripture above has deeper meaning and implications, but a day after my meltdown, I'll settle for the warm fuzzies, and pick up with the deeper stuff tomorrow.

As I wrap this up, Jina just got up to see why one of the little guys woke up crying, you mothers have to know what I'm talking about in this blog, you've got never ending jobs, but doesn't it feel good when the tears stop and the smiles come out?

Maybe more running stuff tomorrow or Wednesday when I'm on the road and have time to think. Until then I'll settle down, log some gym time, clean up my language and see what happens next.

4 comments:

Brian said...

OK, read it and liked it. Good post. Theological question:

Why is footwashing not an ordinance in the church, like communion and baptism?

Footwashing- "14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

It's always taken as the "example of serving." Yet Jesus said, "you also should wash one another's feet." The word for "should" means "owe/obligated" (ophelo).

Cross-ref with 1 Tim.5:10 as a possible reference to the ordinance being kept in the early church. Specifically because it says, "feet of the saints."

Just a thought...outside the box, as usual.

Peace,
Brian

21k said...

I feel you on this one. I normally have a nice meltdown once a month or so. You'd think I would see it coming, but I rarely do. I can't even begin to imagine what all the great moms go through every day.

James said...

Brian,
I personally am inclined to believe that Christ was using the foot washing to illustrate our call to service, not give us a specific task to perform or replicate.

Scotty,

See what you get for moving away. You no longer have me to have your melt downs for you. We need to find a church basketball league!

Brian said...

Thanks for replying James. Just thought I'd do a little theological dance for ya!

I really appreciate the transparency in speaking about the expletives. So much of Bible Belt Christianity is "put-on perfect" with no weakness ever shown. And it comes off as shallow and hypocritical to the unbelievers around us. I love it when believers show who they are, warts and all. Not celebrating the falls or weak areas, but not hiding them either.

Scotty, thanks again for encouragement. It means a lot.

Peace,
Brian