22 January 2008

Random Thoughts

RoadID makes a great gift (www.roadid.com) for a runner/cyclist/traveler. Jina got me the "dog tag" style on a chain for Christmas (they also have a bracelet and one that attaches to your laces). It's nice now when I travel to know my emergency contact information is on me, even when I don't take my Driver's License to the gym or hotel weight room, no to mention if I go for a run.

I went to the gym the other day and wore a matching outfit...yikes...I didn't even know it. The shorts were Champion C9 shorts from Target, (12.99) and the shirt came off the clearance rack (vented/technical) $3.84. After I ran, I walked in front of the mirror in the free weight area and realized I had on a matching set. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thank goodness for Target and Walmart and occasionally Dick's Sporting Goods (fitness gear brand). I can't bring myself to lay our $35 for a technical shirt just to get the Nike swoosh on it. I must admit to liking the bright yellow "Live Strong" shirts, but when you run some races just to get the free technical shirt, it's not likely you're parting with $35 for a work out shirt.

Does God get that same sense of pride when I do something right, that I get when my children do?

Eating 3 meals a day by yourself stinks!

OLS update: I was helping set up some tables for a client today, didn't have to, but thought I'd be nice since I was work out of their office. As I picked up a folding table by myself and carried over my head to avoid others, an attractive female member of their staff commented on myself and one of the other guys carrying the tables ourselves. I had to suppress my laughter when I realized that OLS symptoms almost flared up. Luckily the humor of the whole situation and setting acted as a natural suppressant.

Time for some sleep, or an attempt. 2 years into this job and I still don't sleep well on the road.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Road ID is a great thing- I keep it attached to my shoe. I run in too many places in which it would take a while to find my lifeless body. At least they'd know who I am when they found me!

Matching outfit? What kinda gyms are you going to?

I'm with you- the gym isn't a fashion show and I don't want to look like I'm in one when I'm there (I gotta get back to weight-lifting one of these days).

I'm pretty cheap on my running clothes, too. Technical fabrics are pretty much the same (though not always!) regardless of the brand name. The only real issue is construction. A long run with a chafing seam in the armpit can really suck.

I like Fitness Gear from Dicks, except for the jacket I received at Christmas- sleeve came apart almost immediately. Took it back and the guy said they'd seen others with the same problem. Looked at the same jacket on the rack and you could see where they hadn't stitched it well. But otherwise, the shorts and shirts have been fine. And catching them on sale can make them really cheap.

If I carried a table over my head, I'd have to laugh as I dropped it on myself!

Peace,
Brian

James said...

Don't be too impressed, it was a folding one.