01 March 2009

Training Partners and When Anger is Good

PARTNERS
Today's post is a shout out to my running partners over the last few years. They've changed a few times, and we don't maintain an every Saturday meet at such and such time to run such and such distance at such and such pace routine, but they always seem to be there when I want them the least, but need them the most. I encourage everyone to find a running partner or workout partner, just be sure to pick someone who's motivation and commitment matches yours.

I was reminded of how important running partners are this past Saturday. I was to meet with two of them for a long run, but as my week came to an end, I wasn't looking forward to it. Then one had to back out due to illness and there was a glimmer of hope that I wouldn't have to run. An email to the other dashed any hope of getting out of it. She still wanted to run.

Where once I looked forward to long runs, I've not been so fond of them lately. As I headed out to meet up I was not at all motivated, but I had a commitment to keep. Someone was waiting.

The run started and the conversations started and the miles began to pass. I was shocked at how quickly the first few miles passed, but the strong head wind was taking a toll, and for the first time I wasn't sure I could hang with my friend. We pressed on, grateful for the tail wind helping us on the return route, and when it was over I was happy we hadn't cancelled.

That's the best thing about training partners. They hold you accountable, even though they don't always know it. They push you to do the best you can. They motivate you when you don't want to be. They become your workout conscience.

So, to all those who have, whether knowingly or unknowingly, pushed, prodded, pulled, or otherwise gotten me out of bed, out of the house, and on the road, THANKS! (I'm still not sure that applies to that one guy who got me into this silliness a few years ago...well, OK, him too.)

ANGER
Now you may not agree with me, but I'm convinced that my best weight lifting workouts come when I'm angry. Sometimes that anger is genuine, such as being upset, frustrated, or mad about something. In these instances, the weights become the recipient of my aggression and I typically finish with my energy spent and my anger exhausted. A well timed workout can do wonders for a marriage...;>)

At times I manufacture the "anger" I need to lift heavy. This is usually accomplished through my music selection. Songs like John Cougar Mellencamp's "Authority Song", Toby Keith's "Angry American" or "Whiskey for My Men, Beer for My Horses", or M.C. Hammer's "You Can't Touch This" are successful in creating within my mind a adversarial mindset against either "institution", "injustice", or "perceived lack of respect".

Likewise, I can often get "worked up" and "hard charging" by listening to songs such as "Sweet Home Alabama", "Back in Black", "We're Not Gonna Take It" or by listening to Country songs such as Alan Jackson's "Where I Come From" or Alabama's " High Cotton" which help to fuel a frustration with my current place and pace in life in comparison to what I aspire too return to some day.

Either way, whether real (rare) or manufactured (almost always), I utilize anger to get the most out of my lifting routines. Give it a try, just leave it in the gym when you're done with it.

No comments: