20 March 2009

J17W Update

5 days under my belt.

I backed off of running after Tuesday morning to allow a hammy to mend. Been Biking instead.

Never have reached my daily calorie intake goals. Find myself consuming some "not bad", but not "ideal" calories each evening. Little League and school spring festivals made dinner a "How much can you swallow in 5 to 10 minutes?" ritual for the first four nights of the week.

No running has meant I'm not partially dehydrated everyday. This, and hopefully some muscle gain has meant a 3 to 4 pound weight gain this week. Stepping on the scales has been rough. After 3 years of losing or maintaining weight, convincing your mind that it is OK for the scale to tick up a bit is hard. Currently I'm telling my brain..."If the jeans still fit, we're OK,...it listens sometimes.

My workouts were pretty traditional in nature. Monday was chest and arms (Bench, Incline Bench, Flys, Curls, Dips). Tuesday was back and shoulders (Shrugs, Military Press, Seated row, Pull ups, Dumbbell rows). Wednesday was chest and arms again. Thursday repeat of Tuesday. This morning was chest and arms and some squats thrown. 3 to 6 miles of riding the bike for cardio Wed. Thur. and Fri.

I was pleased with the weights that I was working out with this morning. At the start of the year, I was doing my heaviest sets at about 5 to 10 lbs below my body weight. Now my heaviest sets are at around 10 to 20 lbs over my body weight.

I'm still debating what to do tomorrow. A calisthenics style circuit routine or a long run.

Anyhow, that is week one. On Sunday I travel for a meeting, OK, actually Sunday is the golf outing, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are meetings. The room accommodations have full kitchens and I'm familiar with YMCA there, so hopefully, although it will be on short sleep, I'll be able to keep up with my routine through next week.

No comments: