18 July 2008

A New Plan

As vacation wraps up, I'm going to attempt to refocus again, which if you follow my blog, you know this makes about my fourth time in the last 6 months. After the motivation of the marathon ended, the onset of the summer months has made it hard to focus on a goal. To run consistently draws either time or energy and sometimes both from my personal life, and for me that means that it is drawn away from my family. Work does that enough, so I'm not willing to make that sacrifice.

With that being said, I do have goals I like to maintain and/or achieve, whether it is challenging myself, or maintaining a level of conditioning and, dare I say, appearance that makes me feel well and confident. So the dilemma is, "How to balance everything to maintain motivation?" and with the potential opportunity to play softball again, "What training best addresses my two needs. A need for long distance endurance for an October/November marathon and the need for the quick bursts of speed I need on the base paths." Throw in a need to break out of the training rut and here is the sample training week I've come up with.

Monday: 4 miles easy
Tuesday: 20 yard sprints, weights or push ups and crunches
Wednesday: 7-8 miles easy
Thursday: 20 yard sprints, weights or push ups and crunches
Friday: 4 mile easy
Saturday: Long runs 10 - 20 miles
Sunday: Off

With the exception of Weekend long runs, my time requirement should be no greater than the hour and fifteen minutes I need for the Wednesday runs. This means, I hope, more sleep, less fatigue, and less stress to get my workouts in before work every morning.

I'm counting on the sprints building leg strength and activating some fast twitch muscles fibers for use in softball.

Well that's it in a nut shell. Mix in some better eating habits and hopefully all goes well.

One fall marathon note: I may skip the mid October Louisville Marathon and travel to Indy for the November 1st marathon. There is some intrigue in running that events inaugural race, and my agent (wife) agreed that it would be neat. Sooooo....decisions...decisions...

2 comments:

Mir said...

That's the one I'm doing! :D

James said...

I also have another friend who may be doing it as a first marathon.

Both courses are listed as flat, I'd like to think I could set another PR, although my training isn't headed in that direction, but the chance to say I ran the first one has appeal for me.

Perhaps will see you there, I'll decide in the next couple of weeks what I'm going to do.