22 July 2008

Is this love that I'm feeling?

Besides being the title of a 1980's pop song, it is also the question I'm asking about my marriage this morning.

Today was my first workout incorporating sprints. Last night, while discussing it with my wife, I told her I figured I'd go to the "Y" and run them sideline to sideline on the basketball court. Her response, "Why don't you run base line to base line, we always did. You know we always did the ones where you ran out, touched the lines...."

Now what I didn't rationalize is that my wife last ran wind sprints, or "suicides", 16 years ago. What I did do this morning is suffer from OLS and decide that she had challenged my manhood and therefore I needed to run them as she directed.

Ouch. Think you're in shape? Concentrated only on distance running for some time now? Try running sprints up and down the basketball court and see how you hold up. Anyway, back to my original question, "Is this love?" or "Was it a concerted effort to collect on the life insurance policy?" Hmmmm.......only time will tell, but how much time do I have left? Wasn't there a line from an Aerosmith song, "that kind of love was the killing kind"?

2 comments:

Brian said...

My lions are not old! So I will not succumb to OLS and do sprints. I'll hurt myself!!!

You're training regimen looks really good. Other than target long-run distances, I don't really have one. Just a run here and a bike ride there. But I'm not training for anything specific right now.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

I'm also including some bike rides now. Nothing fancy or arduous.

Family bike rides with 60+/- pounds of kids in the pull behind trailer. Our current loops is a pretty hilly 4 mile loop, not sure I can handle much more after my morning runs and workouts.