24 June 2008

Super Hero!

OK,

I've managed to break away, or run away from nightly email catchup to see Iron Man and Hulk in the last two weeks. Iron Man = Great, Hulk = "So So", but that's just my opinion.

Did you ever wish you had a secret power. I've always bounced between wanting to either be able to fly or turn invisible. As for my favorite super heroes, I like those who actually struggle one way or another. Spider Man/Peter Parker, Bat Man/Bruce Wayne, Under Dog/Shoe Shine Boy...yea, I said Under Dog...It's my blog and my super hero choice.

Anyway, there is a way you can be a super hero. You can give blood. OK, I may have lost half of you there with the thought of the needle, but wait just a minute and hear me out.

You can, by laying on a table for 15 minutes and dealing with a needle stick, save a life. You think it is scary. How about your child or spouse laying on the O.R. or E.R. table and blood not being available? They don't make it in a lab folks. Which is scarier, the needle stick or the prospect of the above situation.

I can not verify the story, but back in my early twenties when I started giving blood, I got called to come and donate, the supply in the Ohio Valley Red Cross Region was critical. Apparently they had, I believe, 64 units of blood on hand. A near fatal crash over the weekend used up 48 of those. All 48 went to one victim. What if they only had 47 on hand?

Anyone willing to be a Super Hero? If you already are, Great! If not, and you've got no physical dis-qualifiers, Why not? Here you go to get you started...

http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

4 comments:

Mir said...

I used to give blood, but can't anymore because I had mono-induced hepatitis several years ago. BOO.

I finally got rid of my "Type O Hero" blood donor card just recently because it made me feel guilty. :(

Instead, I try to donate money when I can.

James said...

Great Job Miranda. At least you continue to help out.

When do you plan on beginning your training for your fall marathon?

21k said...

I think the Red Cross needs a super hero icon. Red Eagle - able to save a life with a single needle.

Thanks for the public service announcement. It's been several months since my last donation.

James said...

I don't give as often as I used to. I'm due a little blood letting on the 30th, but will be a week late.