23 June 2008

Bummed

OK, I woke up this morning and all my pep talk last night about motivation didn't do squat for me. I didn't want to run and it felt bad during the entire run. I gutted and groaned out 2 loops through the neighborhoods for 4.4 miles.

I then drove to Cincy to catch a flight to Minneapolis to drive to Duluth. Upon arrival I checked in, changed into my running clothes and headed out for a 3 miler along Lake Superior. I'll call it a tempo run, clocking 3 miles at a 7:50 pace over a course with small rolling hills. My left hammy is still tight and sore just below my buttocks, but at the lack of humidity helped my cardio.

I've upped my iron intake the past couple of days thinking that might be part of the leg fatigue issue. I've slept a little more, although it is 10:30 central time as I type this, so tonight will probably be a 7 hour deal, which by recent standards is a great night of sleep. Lastly, I went to the store and picked up some grapes, some bananas and some low sodium V8 juice to try to balance out my diet as much as possible. I'll just have to wait and see if that helps, I ran off an forgot my multi-vitamins. I just need to go to Walgreens and pick up a bottle to keep in my luggage.

I'm starting to think that part of my problem might be more mental than physical. With the exception of my vacation week, I've maintained a pretty hectic travel schedule for about 2 months now, and have another week and a half to go. Duluth is a summer vacation destination in the north land. For those familiar with Gatlinburg, TN it is very similar in atmosphere, although much larger and it lacks the commercial ventures found in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. Anyway, lots of families walking around, which does nothing to help me stop thinking about my boys at home (and my wife, but thought that might sound to mushy...yuck).

I need to flip through the MP3 player and listen to one of my favorite running songs over and over again. Sorry Chris and Scotty, it's a country song.
"If your going through hell, keep on moving. Don't slow down, if you're scared don't show it. You might get out 'fore the devil even knows you're there."

Anyway, maybe I'll snap out of it? Duluth appears to have a pretty active running community and trips along the lake are prone to cause OLS flare up and result in over training.

No comments: