13 April 2008

An untitled post...

Well I couldn't think anything to call today's post, and it will catalog a couple different things.

Personal Family Note: The twins turned 3 today. Happy Birthday boys!

Training: Took today off in every sense of the word. Running = 0 miles, Eating = Pizza, snacks, cake and ice cream, I even took an afternoon nap after everyone left from the party. That is a very rare thing for me, and here it is 8:30 and I'm yawning again.

On Thursday I indicated I'd log a 4 or 5 mile easy run and a 14 or 15 mile long run. Well neither happened. I think my body has started to push back. Friday morning I couldn't answer the alarm, I was exhausted and sore all over. Jina was nice enough to wake up and realize my predicament, took a stick to me, yep she beat me severely to get me motivated. No, I'm just kidding, as I lay on my stomach she used the massage stick to work the knots out of my calves and hammies. They were bad enough she could actually feel the stick bouncing over a couple in my calves. Saturday, I over slept again, and since we were headed to senior day for my nieces college softball team, time was short. Headed out for what I hoped to be 14 miles. Great pace on the way out, wind assisted, then I had to run back home against the same wind. Wound up with 12 miles. I've ran in the cold, in the sleet, in freezing temps, in the rain, but by far I think this ranks as my most miserable run ever. When I got home I checked, wind was 12mph-gusting to 17 mph. At times I'd be running an 8 minute pace and then get hit by a gust and watch the pace on my GPS slow by 15 to 30 seconds. Crazy.

So I wrap up tonight, stoked on simple carbs, rested, but ready for more rest. Training schedule on the KDF Mini Website calls for 3 and 4 milers this week for Novice Marathoners, and an 8 miler on Saturday, I think I may knock out my 2nd qtr APFT tomorrow morning and then knock out a couple of easy miles. Then settle in to a routine for the week. OK, enough boring stuff and crying from me.

2 comments:

Mir said...

Hang in there...it's weird, sometimes the best runs happen in the worst weather, and the worst occur unexpectedly when it's nice out. There's just no accounting for it. We're getting close--you're doing great!

James said...

Thanks Mir,

I know I've got the conditioning to finish. Which was my goal. Training to BQ just doesn't fit into the framework of the rest of my life.

That said, there is still a part of me that would like to post a great time (sub 4 hr is my goal), while I'm starting to get that nagging doubt and fear about not finishing.

Part of the mind game, I know. Of course this far in, each ache and pain goes from mole hill to mountain in my brain.

Been checking in on your training and it looks like you've moved beyond your injuries and all is going well!