29 April 2008

Lesson from the Marathon #2

2 Corinthians 1:9 (New International Version)
9Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

After completeing the Marathon, I started looking at the things I could've/should've done differently. Starting out too fast and ignoring my game plan was Lesson #1. Lesson #2 began to take shape around mile twelve. It started with a simple thought, "If I was running the Mini, I'd be wrapping up in another mile." While seemingly innocent, it was the seed from which many doubts started to grow.
The seed had a very fertile place to grow. I was wrapped in a cocoon of MP3 files. Having borrowed my wife's good, in ear, ear buds, I was oblivious to the world around me. I became trapped inside with nothing but the music and my thoughts. I began to focus on myself, every ache, every pain. Each one feeding the self doubt and cultivating more questions.
I will definitely reconsider the use of the MP3 player during my next marathon. I survived several long runs without it, because of low batteries. I ran 10 miler without it. I'm thinking that had I allowed myself to experience more of the external stimuli that the race had to offer, perhaps I would have staved off some of the mental pitfalls I experienced.

Lesson #2. Don't focus too intently on yourself and how you feel. You're not likely to find an internal drive that survives the long haul, so don't rely on an internal motivator that you have to generate yourself. Leave the music at home?

1 comment:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i ALWAYS run with music. however for the papa john's 10 miler and mini, i did not. frank and i talked. while we weren't talking i was able to soak up what was going on around me. i definitely see your point and i think you bring up a very good point! i have found myself feeling sorry for myself before without thinking about what else is going on.