28 December 2007

Survived

Ok,

I did survive Christmas. My oldest twin decided to detour our shopping/food preparations by taking a side trip to the ER on Christmas Eve. We tried the Immediate Care Center and they wouldn't touch him. He's ok now, antibiotics knocked out the early stages of strep. Scary thing was he never acted very sick. Jina caught sight of swollen lymph nodes and decided it was time to head to the doc. So, that made Christmas a bit hectic, but no major problems.

A couple running tid bits. If you plan on running the KDF mini or full marathon, training starts next month. I'll post a link to a training schedule. Second, don't forget about my January 2nd fitness test. I'll post the Army scoring system tomorrow. Lastly, my wife got me the "Stick" for Christmas. It is a handle with rollers on it (see your local running store) which allows you to work knots, soreness, and trigger points from your muscles. I've used it post workout and then this morning pre workout to warm up tired achy muscles. It's not scientific proof, but the first mile on the treadmill seemed to be looser and less painful than usual. I'll keep you posted on how it's working out, but just from two uses, I'd recommend it.

4 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

what is it with sick kiddos at christmas? sam has been sick two years in a row now...yes, do the math...he has only had two christmas's in his life! poor guy! glad he is feeling better!

Brian said...

Thanks for reminding me- I need to find my stick. I have one, but I lost it. Between that and ice packs, I've continued running for a good while now.

Sorry about the ER trip, but I'm glad we live in a country where you can get good ER help. Poor little guy.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

I think Jaden was sick last year as well??

There is also the infamous BBQ event of 2003 when a bad batch of BBQ hit Jina and Jared on Christmas night.

You know Brian, our local hospital takes some heat from some folks, but we got great service and treatment again this time.

Yes, I'm sick and tired of paying out the nose for health insurance and health care, but as one of the shrinking # of fortunates with medical insurance, I'm not sure I'd trade our health care for anybody else's.

Brian said...

Agreed, my bro. Even with the current (several decades) intrusion into historically free-market health care system, we still have great innovation and decent care for all.

And those without insurance really do have it. Gov't rules don't allow for discrimination in cases of real need. The place where it hurts the uninsured is during catastrophic issues in which the person needs expensive surgery or prohibitively expensive meds.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of gov't run health care. That's part of the problem as it is. But...something is gonna have to be done. It doesn't seem right that people die when they simply can't afford the method of cure.

OK- 'nuff thinking and stuff. It hurts my brain. I gotta get on a stationary bike in the basement and ride whilst watching the Rock Star movie.

Peace,
Brian