13 December 2007

Poll Surprise

When I posted the Polls about Christmas songs I was, due to space contraints, limited in what choices I could put up. No surprises in the secular category, although I voted for "Silver Bells", which I really like, I may actually consider "Christmas Bells (Snoopy and the Red Baron)" as my favorite, but it's a bit more obscure.

The hymns surprised me. I voted for "Silent Night", I thought for sure that would carry the day, but "Joy to the World" ran away with the votes. Best part about it, no real losers in that category. As I type this I realized I'd have to put "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" right up there with "Silent Night" as well. Then there's "Go Tell it on the Mountain", especially the version by Mahalia Jackson. Tons of great tunes, no wonder I've been known to sing them in July.

Anyway, I'm wrapping up my travel for the year, I hope. Now maybe I can focus on running, I spent the last 24 hours with a nasty stomach bug (Thanks Jina for the early Christmas Present, keep it to yourself next time);>) so not much running despite great weather. Mainly I'm ready to focus on my family, friends, and Christmas. That's the great thing about Christmas and New Years. Maybe it's only me, but it helps me refocus on my Christ, on my family, and despite what is going on at work, I'm able to look back on another year of God's blessings and forward to a year of promise. 2008 is a blank slate waiting for me to make my mark.

Ok, I'm stoked about Christmas now!

11 comments:

Brian said...

Ummm...confession from the bald guy. I...uh...well...

I use Firefox as my browser when reading blogs. It's set to clear out cookies every time I close it out. So...probably 3 to 4 of those votes for Joy to the World were mine. Therefore, the following:

I, BALDPASTORGUY, DO HEREBY SOLEMNLY SWEAR AND AFFIRM THAT I WILL PRACTICE RESTRAINT IN FUTURE POLLS. FURTHER, I WILL TEACH AND ATTEND A TRAINING CLASS ON ETIQUETTE FOR BLOG POLLS. signed, well, you know...me.

In my defense, the words to the song rock.

James said...

Great. There goes the data for my disertation

Wait I'm not doing one

Just means I don't have as many readers as I thouht

Thanks for bringing me down....LOL

Brian said...

Ya know, not every reader takes the time to do the poll...

Besides, I almost didn't vote, as there was no space for the famous AC/CD Christmas song, "For Those About to Rock"

James said...

there was the "other" catergory

But even with being an AC/DC fan, I think I'd have to put that one in the "Oh Brother" category.

Brian said...

Yeah- I probably shouldn't type past 9 at night.

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

you're not the only one...i voted for joy to the world too!

Todd Benkert said...

I haven't yet added a poll to my blog because I didn't think my two readers were a large enough sample. :-)

Todd Benkert said...

One more thing, I do like singing Silent Night in a Christmas Eve candle light service, but I don't enjoy singing it in the morning. (for me, that's right up there with singing "Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus" while sitting down. :-)

As a missions guy, Go Tell It on the Mountain is one of my favorites.

EHBC Staff said...

You might have noticed that my sermon illustration last week about the Christmas war truce of 1915 was the inspiration for "Christmas Bells"

Just thought I would boast.
Chris

James said...

Alicia,

Doesn't surprise me that was your favorite song. You always seem happy!!

Todd,

As Brian points out, it's not how many readers, it's readers with the proper browser settings that ares useful in filling out your poll #'s.

Also, you got me thinking about, Christ was laid in a manger, I don't remember them taking him "Away in a Manger".

Was that a precursor to car seats,oops I mean Donkey seats. (don't say that fast, already one good laugh at our house.)

Chris,

As a fan of military history, I am very familiar with that story. As I understand it, at some points along the line, commanders ordered their own artillery to fire into no man's land to discourage. Talk about SCROOGE!

Brian said...

Donkey seats! Hahahahahaha!!!!

Thanks, man- THAT was funny!