22 December 2007

All is calm, all is bright....

Pretty much sums up my running route this morning. The trip through Port Road to Utica was quiet. No flat bed semis with steel rolls, parking lots void of cars and workers, and the normal Saturday road traffic in and out of Utica was light.

This was my first run of over 1 hour in some time. Four miles out and back for a total of 8 miles. I wasn't blazing fast, but for some reason I didn't care this morning. From the minute I left my house I didn't care about my pace, well maybe a little, I knew what I didn't want to fall under, or is that over. Besides that general goal, I was just running. I wasn't agonizing over a work decision or issue, worrying about how my travel was affecting my family, thinking and rethinking my mom's health condition, or pushing myself to hit some magic mark on the watch dial. I was just running.

Some where around the 51/2 mile mark I became cognisant of the country song that was telling "If your running through hell, keep on going, don't slow down....you might get out before the devil even knows you're there." I thought about how true that was, how life like a run can sometimes best be survived by maintaining momentum, and making it through to another day. I whispered a simple "Thank You" prayer and kept going.

In the final mile I put together the general thought for this blog, and a plan for a night with the family. Beyond that, I spent 8 miles; 1 hour and 11 minutes thinking about absolutely nothing. It was great. Well there was also that brief moment when I asked myself if I was going to do the KDF Mini or Full Marathon.

Out the door to finish Christmas shopping. Merry Christmas!

No comments: