05 November 2007

Did You....?

Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set your clocks back.

We had a close call with a vent pipe that came loose from our furnace when they were roofing our house. When we fired up the furnace for the first time, it was pumping exhaust (CO) into our house. Thankfully the CO detector went off, otherwise there likely wouldn't have been James, Jina, Jared, Jaden, & Jordan the next morning. Perhaps the best $35 I ever spent.

Another piece of equipment runners need to pay attention to are there shoes. According to most estimates, a quality pair of running shoes should last between 300-500 miles, however, water and sweat can help to break them down even faster. Does your 3 mile run leave you with soaking wet socks and shoes? If so, you may find your shoe life on the short end of the range.

I don't keep a detailed log anymore, but have learned to judge the condition of my shoes by my knees. When they started feeling sore after a road run, it was typically time for a new pair. What happens when you're running on treadmills? Well, you will likely extend the life of your shoe, because of the cushioned running surface. But in my case, I sweat more, and this contributed to increased deterioration, but the cushioned treadmill helped hide that fact. My long run on Saturday became a torture session, but not on my knees, the pounding was transferred up into my hips, and I'm still sore.

Here are a few helpful hints, mainly gleaned from other sources, so I won't take credit for them.

1) Visit a reputable running store to be outfitted for your first pair of running shoes. They can select the correct type of shoe (neutral, stability, motion control, etc.) for you, based on your running form and feet.
2) Correct fitting running shoes from a running store are, in my experience, not significantly higher priced than your local mall shoe store. But typically the sales people are runners, not folks just working a job.
3) If cost is a major concern then, after finding a pair of shoes you like, shop online. For some shoes you can save money, for my personal shoe choice, our local shop is competitive with the online sources. But remember, these same local owners typically support the local races with volunteers, timing clocks, prizes, etc.
4) Realize that in some cases increased mileage may require a different shoe. When training for the 1/2 Marathon, my wife's shoes, which were good for 3 mile runs, proved to have too small a toe box to accommodate her foot "spread/swell" when she got into 7 mile or longer training runs.
5) Don't cut corners. You can survive without matching running outfits, technical shirts, and race shorts. Put your money on a quality pair of shoes designed for running. Your specific form and needs.
.................................................

Have you thanked God for something today? Just checking. And while I'm preaching, "GET THOSE BATTERIES IN THE DETECTORS!"

3 comments:

Brian said...

My rule of thumb for running stores is this: If I go to the store and try on shoes and find something I like, I buy them from the store that time. From then on out, I may go mail-order or big box retailer (Dick's Sporting Goods, etc). But anytime I take time from the local Fleet Feet, I try to buy from them. They're the good guys and deserve my business. If I had a bit more money, I'd visit them even more often.

Good blog- great info presented in an understandable way.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

Brian,

My local store's price on the New Balance 767 I wear has always been the same or lower as Dick's and matches up with the online prices I've found, going back to the first 766's I owned.

Also, the owner has typically given Jina an I a discount for our repeat business.

Brian said...

I need to go to your local store! Of course, the gas would be worth a couple of pairs of shoes!