07 September 2008

Utica 5K

I got to run the Utica 5K. We left New Orleans at 7:30 pm Friday night.

I managed to piece together about 3 hours worth of "cat naps" and arrived home at 7 o'clock Saturday morning.

Kiss the wife, change clothes, race to McDonald's for a jolt of caffeine, then off to Utica for the 8 am race.

Same group of competitors I faced last year, and having not run for about 10 days, eating horribly, and no sleep (yep, lining up my excuses) my goal was to defend my 07 third place finish.

Wasn't to be. Mile #1, 6:42, in third and unable to match the 2nd place runner's pace. Mile #2, 13:45, holding third, but hitting the 2nd hill, decide to give up some more of my fading lead over 4th and 5th place and quickly hike up the hill. I'm passed just before the crest by the 4th place runner. She's a friend of the family and will easily take 1st overall female. I'm fading. 5th place runner draws even with me at about 2.5 miles. I decide to maintain his pace and we run stride for stride. He pulls ahead a step, I match it, then again, and again. I pull ahead by 3 steps and hope he fades. He doesn't. I'm sucking wind, he draws even. 2 tenths out, I'm done, I check my tail and find no one close. 5th will be good enough. I pull up and walk about twenty feet, then resume running. Finish in 21:33. One minute longer than last year, 9 seconds slower than 4th place (3rd place male).

My wife says to be happy. "You made it back from NOLA safely, was able to run, will make the kidos' soccer games, and you won an age group medal." (overall winners are excluded from the age group medals)

She's right, but I'm mad at myself for giving up. I should've gut checked it out. GRRRRR!

3 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

cut yourself some slack! that is awesome! congrats! i'll be back to running soon....

James said...

Thanks,

Miss running with you guys. I know I said that before, but it has been tough staying motivated lately.

Bev said...

Just think what you could have done with a little more sleep, good food and a couple more training runs! Sounds like you did really well to me.