28 September 2008

Base Miles

Ok you've started running, perhaps you've gotten a race or two under your belt, or you've reached your weight or conditioning goal and don't know whether you can start running less or need to run more. Perhaps you're not running at all, fine, apply the same principles to whatever exercise regimen you're following.

Just as a house needs a strong foundation, so does your running and conditioning. My first runs consisted of a one mile loop through my neighborhood and I blistered the asphalt with scorching 16 minute miles. Then came the pinnacle of my early days of running. An all out effort that deposited me, spread eagle and gasping on the hood of my car. I'd just turned in a 14 minute mile. That was the beginning, and I'm happy to say that, with the exception of a couple of recent weeks, I now maintain a base of 15 to 20 miles per week. Much improved from those early runs. But what is the purpose of those base miles?

From your base, you can tune up for a local 5K, or initiate a 16 week marathon training regimen. Not interested in racing, then think of your base as a great way to stay away from agony. I'm a runner for life now, not because I always love it, but because I remember the time I took of a complete month and had to restart. Trust me, keep your miles up and avoid the physical and mental agony of resuming running.

Your base also serves as a bottom marker, a baseline that you refuse to fall below. Let's call it your minimum goal mileage. Pushing yourself to complete the miles necessary to maintain this minimum number of miles, can help to remind you of why you run and what you enjoy about running. Base miles also serve as an anchor. They can help you to hold your conditioning level through minor injury, illness, or when life rears its ugly head. They also anchor you in your goals. When you get excited about that new pilates class or lifting regimen, maintaining your base can keep you from straying too far away from training that is specific to achieving your running goals.

If I've managed to hold your attention this long, let me ask you another question. "What anchors your life?" "On what foundation is everything that you are and everything that you believe built?" Since its getting late on me, just think about those two questions, be honest with yourself, and we'll discuss some more my next post.

No comments: