24 February 2008

Test Run

The Test Run was postponed yesterday due to a late night trying to plan a Disney World trip that in the end is just too darn expensive to justify at this point in time. Yes, they advertise affordable packages, they just don't tell you that it's only affordable if there are 4 in the family, add a 5th and things grow exponentially.

Anyway, I postponed the run until this morning. Again, I stayed up late, GO VOLS! But, I got up anyway, drank a large cup of coffee, laced them up and headed out.

My original plan was to avoid the cold by doing 5 miles on our treadmill, 5 outside, and 5 more on the treadmill. After stepping outside to lay my GPS where it could sync, I decided to do the whole run outside.

Long story short, my run went well. 15 miles in 2:19. Stuck with my game plan, ran 5, walked while consuming a pack of Jelly Belly Sport Beans, which have now replaced gels as my carb source of choice. The walks lasted for 1/4 mile. Felt good through 10, 10 to 12 felt a bit rough, 12 through 15 was, except for leg fatigue, pretty good. Afterward, a bit of pain under the left knee cap, but otherwise, good to go. KDF Marathon? Why not?

HUMOR and T.M.I

Thank goodness for the caffeine in Coffee, even if it is a diuretic. Oh yea, and then thank goodness for big a tree in the deserted part of the industrial park at mile 2, the deer trail off the side of the road at mile 4, and the construction site and heavy equipment at mile 10.

In a post on his blog, Brian (BaldPastorGuyStuff) shared his creative way of dealing with cold, ummm, frontal winds. Brian, sorry dude, but it didn't work for me. Ladies, I'm sorry that some guy somewhere decided what adhesive to use on items generally reserved for your use. The strip didn't hold and the only thing that received protection from the cold was my left shin, as my "shield" made its way down my running pants left leg by mile 3. (My wife just commented that she is glad I'm secure in my man hood, as I read this paragraph to her. Honestly, it took a lot for me to try this Brian's suggestion.)

Anyway, it was good to do a long run. My recent training has been focused on conditioning and weight training, and has not been conducive to thinking. I was able to clear out a lot of garbage in my head today. I need to do this marathon. I'll explain in a future post.

No comments: