05 February 2008

A Knight to Remember

Let's get one thing straight from the start. I am not Bobby Knight's biggest fan. I have always been critical of him for demanding discipline from his players, but exercising little self discipline. Secondly, I'm not a dyed in the wool IU fan. I was a UK fan, but have distanced myself after the way Tubby Smith was treated. Lastly, as a youngster, I rooted for UofL. Back in the days of Ellison and Spencer, and prior to Denny Crum's "prop48" recruiting debacles. Yes, I'm a firm believer in student athletes, not athletes who might be students, and the current UofL leadership, well, I'll keep my opinion to myself. So currently I watch the occasional college game to pass time and will only get deeply involved once March madness arrives. So, with that being said, I'll get to my point.

Bobby Knight was disdained by many and loved by many, but all indications are that he could have really cared less. He did things his way. In a world where people in power, and out, try desperately to gain acceptance and support by jumping on whatever band wagon happens to have the biggest following, he remained constant.

His demand for discipline was, no doubt, a by product of his early coaching career at West Point, and as society demanded less of young men, and superstars were made and pandered to even in high school, his team remained his team. You played by his standards or you didn't play.

Much was made when he departed IU about his handling of his players, but yet, of all the kids he coached, I only recall two offering criticsm of the way they were treated. Who is the better judge of him as a person, those who sit on the sidelines, or those who played for him?

The stories seldom told of Bobby Knight are those surrounding his charity work. Why? He keeps it private, he doesn't pander to the public for approval. I remember in college, a business law professor, who was a friend of Bobby, telling us how mad the media was because he didn't do a press conference after the previous weekend's game. They said he was angry about the loss. The professor told us that, in fact, Bobby had committed to attend a children's hospital fund raiser immediately after the game, and refused to make it public just to appease and explain himself to the media.

Ok, Bobby isn't a saint. Perhaps he may not fall into the category of a good person. However, I think we can all learn from his example. We need to learn to and be committed to stand firm in our convictions, regardless of what others think about them. We should speak out when we feel there is injustice, regardless of what it might cost us. We should teach our children that there are things in this life that are more precious than playing time on a team, money in the bank, a current job, potential jobs, a grade in class, etc., etc.

So we must ask that person in the mirror, "At the end of your day, your week, your month, your year, your life, "Did you stand up? Did you stand firm? Or did you weigh the consequences and trade away your beliefs and ideals for something less?

No comments: