18 February 2008

Drought

John 4:13-14(NIV)
13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

As I wrapped up a shower at the "Y" today and reached to shut the water off , I remembered how the "Y" in Raleigh had signs up asking people to turn off the shower when lathering up and when brushing their teeth. Raleigh, like much of the Southeast, faced water shortages this past summer, and continues to deal with the effects, despite winter rains.

I thought about how I couldn't remember dealing with a water shortage here in Jeffersonville, and considered our water source. While my current home is on a rural water supplier with wells away from the Ohio River, the City of Jeff's water is drawn from multiple wells drilled near the Ohio River's northern bank, and the City of Louisville actually treats river water for it's supply.
Yes, North Carolina and South Carolina have rivers, but when I thought about the rivers I knew of in those states, I realized that most are, while broad in width, not very deep and consist of many rocky shallows. While fun for recreation, good for some types of fishing, and pretty to look at, they are not as adept at sustaining life as deep rivers like the Ohio and the Mississippi.

Just like those shallow rivers, a shallow faith can be very impressive, it can be beautiful, and can even yield positive things, but what that shallow faith can not do is sustain through the droughts of life. Only a faith that runs deep sustains in those times when "showers of blessings" seem few and far between. May God grant us all a faith that is a fountain flowing "deep and wide".

No comments: