21 February 2008

Moment of Truth

I am debating on whether or not to test my conditioning this Saturday. The Marathon training schedule for the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon calls for a 15 miler. If I attempt this and complete it, and have no harsh after affects, then I will likely push my training in the direction of logging the mileage necessary to get ready to complete the full marathon. Completion, not competition being the goal.

If I decide to do the Marathon, I'll issue two invitations. One is for you to come see me stagger across the finish line. The second is my victory meal. Texas Roadhouse's 32 oz steak while wearing my finishers medal!

My angst is the amount of time required to log the long runs. The 15 miler will require a little over 2 hours. To keep from robbing time from my family, that means a 5:30 am start time and then hoping I've not burned up all my energy and left drained for the day.

I'll keep you posted. On a side note, my daily runs are going well. I'm logging them on treadmills in conjunction with working out with weights, but have this week's runs have not taxed my heart rate as much as past training, and I've been able to frequently log training miles below the 8 minute per mile mark.

3 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i'll be there for both! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Brian said...

OK, here's the deal- you do the marathon and I'LL eat a steak in your honor. 32oz may be a bit much for me, but I'll have a steak.

James said...

ok i'll do it for both of you