17 October 2007

Performance

In my last couple of posts I've been practicing a new writing style. Instead of writing so that one topic builds upon the next, I'm working in reverse and expanding upon topics which were mentioned but not elaborated on in the previous poll.

Oh and by the way, I've got this really nice bridge in Brooklyn that I hold title to, and I'm looking to sell.

Actually, I reread my posts and go, "That was ok, but are you sure they know where your coming from on that point?".

In my last post I discussed the impact introspection can have on limiting your performance, and I'm sure some of you were saying, I'm not interested in performance, I just like running and exercising. So I wanted to explain what I intended in using the word "performance".

As I see it, performance is not just a product of competition, it is, or should be self induced and self motivated. Performance isn't just about running a fast pace, lifting a lot of weight, or winning something. Performance is the effort exerted to accomplish something. With that in mind, and keeping fitness as our topic, some performance measures might be weight loss or maintenance, improved cardio, improved strength, improved times, increased distances, or perhaps you are content with where you're at. If you are content with your current level of fitness, then your performance is measured not by improving but by maintaining your current levels.

What I'm trying to say, and seem to be struggling with this morning, is that anytime you read something or hear something about improving performance, don't discount it just because your fitness goals are based on non-competitive criteria and purposes. Instead, ask yourself, "How can this information help me to meet my goals." You may find something that breaks you out of an exercise "rut", allows you to cut down on your exercise time requirements, or just maybe you'll decide to ratchet your performance goals up a notch just to see what you're made of.

No comments: