09 October 2007

Labels

Back in the day, when I was working in grocery stores, there were still products on the shelf that were packaged in black and white generic boxes or bags. Now, if you're under 30 years old, you probably don't remember them, but trust me, back then Kroger's store brand was sold in a plain yellow and black "Cost Cutter" package. Well somewhere along the way, some marketing guy or gal got smart and decided that if they spruced up the store brand label, to look a little more upscale, they could move more product.

You see, Americans judge things by their marketing and packaging. We love pretty labels. That is until we start getting labeled ourselves. But are labels really a bad thing? Who we are, how we market and present ourselves, don't they give us our identity? They not only identify us to other's, but they also help us define who we are.

For two weeks now I've been long overdue for a hair cut. Heaven forbid, my hair had gotten long enough to part, and long enough to show that I now have more gray hairs than brown ones. Tonight I got a hair cut, yep, my standard cut, skin on the sides and only slightly more on top. Now my hair cut is not going to win any awards for a local stylist, but it fits who I am and more importantly who I want to be. I'm sure that as Samson's hair grew out, he remembered who he was. For me, getting it cut is much the same.

This topic, Labels is one I would like to expand on, but my mind is racing with a myriad of ideas and directions to take this. Bottom line, I've spent the last several days trying to resolve the question of who am I. Here's my list, in no particular order.

Father, Husband, Friend, Son, Brother (tack on "in-law" where appropriate), a boss, a subordinate, a runner, a Christian, a sinner, a professional, and a redneck.

You see, the blessing mentioned in another post forced me to take a look at who I am, who I want to be, what I'm willing to change and what I will not allow to change. I haven't sorted it all out, but a few things are clear. I love my family, so all Family related labels stick. I've lost contact with many friends since taking my current job, traveling makes it hard to keep up with what is going on with everyone and staying connected, but they are my friends and I'll keep trying. A job is a job, and in my profession, no matter what I do, I'll be giving and taking orders, so that's a label that isn't going away anytime soon. As a Christian, I recognize that I'm a sinner, so despite the fact that other's may see the labels as conflicting, I know these are both labels that I will carry to my grave. A professional and a redneck, or perhaps a professional redneck, or a redneck professional. I don't mind this label. My parents were depression era share croppers, my father would have preferred to have been a farmer, but placed putting food on the table over this less than certain career path. So, while I was raised in the suburbs, I can fit in with small town America, and hope to soon. And while my career in management requires me to "dress the part", both literally and figuratively, know when you talk to me that I've got no problem with old jeans, a sleeveless T, a tin of snuff, and a cold beer after a long day of putting up hay. "These are my people, this is where I come from..."

Now to the part of this post that has to do with running. I haven't ran since last Friday. I've since discovered I needed the break. Physically and mentally. Running and training had become a task, instead of something I enjoyed. I'm ready to get back in the saddle. Wednesday morning will find me at the "Y", cold or no cold. I'm a runner. It doesn't control me, but it is a part of who I am. It's a label I've put on. Perhaps someday I want be, but for now, I want to do this, it's part of who I am.

I hope this post made some sense. I hope that if you read it, you can connect with it on some level. Then again, it may have been mindless ramblings at the end of the day. Either way, I'm ready to go again. I'll see you on the roads soon.

James

4 comments:

21k said...

You can also include a singer, a teacher and a softballer.

I still can’t get those Alan Jackson songs you used to sing out of my head.

Brian said...

You hope to fit into small town America soon? I'm guessing that involves a major shift in your life? (I'm just reading between the lines and could be off by miles)

I enjoyed your post. It reminded me why I like Bob Seger's music- he was always fairly introspective. And since I come from that perspective myself, I can sure relate.

I also think it's wise to occasionally take stock and decide priorities and what things fit, where they fit and why. Whether its running, profession, time with kids, time running, whatever.

That type of realignment is like the one your car- you gotta do it occasionally because things get out of whack and then you wind-up running on bald tires, just ripe for a blowout.

I'm not much into labels most of the time because I tend to think they allow people to "cubbyhole" me based on a broad range of descriptors. But yeah- I'm a runner. And I'm a flawed human Christ-follower- with all that entails.

Although I resist the label "Christian." But that's just me. Seems like too many things are called Christian these days. Radio stations, stores, people who put fish on their cars and then flip people off in traffic, etc. Plus the marketing end of Christianity drives me up the wall- the WWJD thing was crazy- books, cd's, stickers, bracelets, necklaces, erasers, shirts, candy, sandals, headbands, combs, and on and on. They killed a great concept by looking to make a fortune off it.

So I identify myself as a follower of Christ. And I think people who haven't become Christ-followers can relate, since they don't like Christians but don't have a problem with Christ (at least as they view him at the moment). So maybe its an inroad to a conversation with them?

OK- you spawned a lot of thoughts once again within me. Scotty says you're a teacher. Are you teaching in your church?

Thanks for the post.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

Scotty,

You just weren't smart enough to change our music format so that the Alan Jackson stuff didn't fit with our congregation.

I'm not a softballer anymore, I hung it up after this season. Maybe some rec league stuff, but that's a label I've peeled off.

As for teaching, with 11-14 1st-3rd graders, I'm not sure whether I'm teaching or riding rough shod.

Brian,

I've done some Sunday school teaching. Young adults at my last church, filled in once or twice at my current church, and I'm the interim 1st-3rd boys class teacher. Haven't decided if it's something I feel led to continue after the first of the year.

I would ask you to look at being labeled a Christian from a different perspective. Instead of changing your label, why not help to change the worldly view of Christians. Not to be too critical, but using the title of Christ-follower instead of Christian is akin to producers now referring to Prunes as Dried Plums. The benefits and "side effects" are the same in both, but in changing the name, they didn't help people recognize that the Prunes were always beneficial. What I'm trying to say is that yes, you run the risk of turning some people off if they apply the Christian label to you, but you might also change someone's perspective on Christians if the product they see in you is different from what they expected. Kinda like buying the store brand and discovering that it tastes the same (or better) than the national brand product. (FYI, They are often run on the same production lines, only labeled differently)

Just something to consider.

As always thanks for reading.

And Scotty,

"Where were you when the world stopped turning, on that September day, out in the yard with..."

Brian said...

I love being challenged to rethink where I am on issues. In considering your point, I guess my best answer would be this: the label, as in your post, is meaningless. The real issue is the product behind the label. You can put a real fancy label on really distasteful food and the food will remain distasteful. It will sell for a while, but pretty soon everyone will know that the food is not good and avoid it. At that point, is it better to reformulate the food and try to reinvigorate the brand because the label looks so good or to change both food and label? To realize the label is no longer attractive to the people and the product behind it stinks as well, and to change both?

Put another way, the word "Christian" is only a label. I know the etymology of it from the book of Acts, but which is more important: reclaiming the label or reaching the culture? Because with many people I only get one shot to try and make an impression for Christ. Why erect a wall with the label "Christian" that I then have to spend time trying to tear down in order to reach someone? Would it not be easier to use a descriptive label such as "follower of Christ" and then reach them? At that point, they can choose whatever label they prefer.

If I succeed in changing the world's impression of "Christians"- which is a big "IF" given the current culture of idiots preaching on TV and holier-than-thou hypocrites walking around the workplace- what have I gained? A better "brand?" It would appear to me that I'm trying to win the favor of the world rather than living differently and reaching the world by that difference.

The label is meaningless. The eternal difference when allows himself or herself to be found by Christ is priceless.

That having been said, as always, I could be totally wrong and out of my head for even thinking such things.

Then again, I tend to approach evangelism by agreeing with people that most organized religion bites. And that far too many churches are interested getting lots of money from people. And that religious hypocrisy is an ugly thing. Etc, etc. I tend to think that Christ would agree.

So I actually look down on the brand and commiserate with my unbelieving friends before daring to offer something that I hope will be different. While at the same time realizing I can be just as bad as the religion I'm against. But I make that clear as well. I don't think unbelievers have a problem with flawed people. They just have a problem- like they should!- with flawed people who pretend to be something different and better.

In the end, though, I think the real issue is that you and I both want to see people for whom Christ died come into that relationship of love by grace through faith. And that's what matters most, regardless of the differences with which we approach it.