07 October 2007

Choices

I'm wrapping up a great weekend with the family, and it's late. I made a decision on Friday night. I laid out all my clothes for a long run on Saturday, filled up my camel back with Gatorade and then managed to get into bed at 11 pm.

As I laid down, I realized I had to make a choice. You can not train for a marathon, even if your only goal is to finish, on 5-6 hrs of sleep a night. Ok, you probably can, but forget about being effective at work, not to mention the lack of energy to devote to your family.

When I started this blog, I indicated to some that part of my goal was to document my training so that anyone wanting to train to complete a marathon would know what the time requirement was like. My time ran out. I could no longer justify the time I was spending training, more so the resulting impact it was having on my personal life.

I enjoyed a weekend of no training, camping at my parents farm with the kids and eating stuff that maybe wasn't the healthiest stuff. I'll resume my exercise in the morning, and return to trying to eat the right stuff, maybe even learn to sleep a little more. But that has never been my strong suit, I always try to stretch every day.

The Tecumseh Trail Marathon is still in my sights, but I need to evaluate how I'm going to train for it. Right now, part of me is saying, "I've done a marathon, no one can take that away, I don't need another one. Half marathons and 5Ks are fine from here on out." For now, I'll play it by ear. Quite honestly, I need to examine a few things in my life, shuffle the deck and figure out what cards I'm going to play. There's too much riding on the game to make a bad play.

Thanks for listening and caring, I'll keep you up to date as I sort it all out.

1 comment:

Brian said...

It's great to see a runner with that kind of reflective willingness towards self-control. Looking around, considering costs, taking stock and even stepping back.

I don't do that enough. God knows, if my knees weren't hurting and my body could take it, I'd be doing ultras by now. I'm too OCD when it comes to running. And waaayyy too many of us are. Thanks for a different example.

I'm praying your curse turns into a blessing (your Oct.4 post). By the way, if you do decide to do the trail marathon, I'd start hitting the trails soon. It's a totally different type of running (at least it is around here, with rocks, roots and hills).

Peace,
Brian