11 January 2009

Looking for Trees in the Forest.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" is one of my oft repeated lines in my years in management. A phrase to frequently describe how people can become so fixated on individual tasks, or their finite realm of situational knowledge, that they either don't or can't see the "big picture".

In my most recent copy Runner's World, there is a section on how to stay motivated during a race or training running. One of the most repeated pieces of advice is to keep your focus small. Don't think about the 10 miles left to run, concentrate on the mile you're in, pick a tree up ahead and run to it, then pick another, etc. etc.

I've used this technique and can attest to its effectiveness. Likewise, I've allowed myself to become focused on the distance and time remaining and felt my physical energy drain in direct proportion to my mental optimism. So remember to focus on small objectives and goals. Allow them to then add up to one big goal. Plant individual trees that amass into a forest.

For the first time since I started this blog, I'm going to tell you that this time running is not a good correlation to the Christian walk through life.

In the 6th Chapter of the book of Matthew, Christ gives us these two directions.

Matthew 6 (New International Version)
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also....33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

As Christians we need to be mindful that our ultimate reward is our eternal salvation. We need to make sure that we remain focused on that fact. Now, I will be the first to tell you that it is easier said than done. As a husband and a father I'm frequently worrying about what is happening or not happening "today". I've ruined my fair share of days and even weeks worrying about things, not to mention what it usually does to the way I react to my family.

Worry is akin to fear, and both are capable of paralyzing us. Sure we need to plan and prepare, and it is ok for Christians to have goals for certain worldly successes, but it can not consume us. Another old cliche is "The devil is in the details." That can be much truer than you ever imagined.

Remember, when you're running, training, or perhaps dieting, set short term goals and let them build upon one another. When you're living your Christian life, keep your eye on the the end reward. Enjoy the short term victories, but don't dwell on the near term set backs, because no matter what happens, no one or nothing, short of your own denial of Christ, can ever strip you of that reward. That simple truth can make the daily struggles seem less daunting and more manageable.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Good thoughts. Thanks for the disclaimer about running vs. the Christian race we are running.

I believe that concentrating on the distance yet to go is one of the reasons I have hated most races I've done. It really hurt me in the marathon. I start thinking about how fast I'm going and how far I've yet to go and then decide I don't have enough in me to make it through (when I probably did).

Concerning the verses: I heard a stat this week that really made me think. 1 in 4 bible-believing, church-attending Christians never gives anything to the Lord. No money at all. 1 out of 4! I bet they expect quality children's programs, though. And good worship music through a quality sound system. And to be visited if they go in the hospital. And free counseling if the marriage begins to fall apart.

OK- 'nuff of frustrated-pastor-ran stuff.

Thanks for the post.

Peace!