31 January 2009

I want to run...

Upon arriving in New Orleans I discovered that the Mardi Gras Marathon, Half, and 5K were being run on Sunday morning.

Had I realized, I likely would have planned to participate. As it stands, my flight leaves out this afternoon, but when I looked at their website last night, there remained 300 spots open for the Half. Confident my base would allow me to complete an unplanned 13.1 mile long run, I consedered it.

This morning was torture. Runners everywhere while I walked and inspected our operation, and specifically a 2.5 mile walking tour route that would be used by convention goers later in the day.

Each runner caused my mind to grind away at a plan that would allow me to fly out a day later and at the same time struggled to justify missing another night and day with my family. I was torn, but as the morning wore on the walking took its toll.

Two loops around the tour route and time spent assisting some of the crew with a clean up brought out aches in my hips from last night's intervals and leg work. Gone now is the desire to run 13.1 miles just to tick off another race in a unique location, replaced by a longing for food, my own bed, and time with the wife and kids.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I totally understand your desire. I really wanted to run the marathon there a few years back. Flat, great location, good place to hang afterwards.

But...time with the wife and kids- can't be beat. You made a great decision.