08 November 2008

Don't Blink

As those of you with kids know; they grow up fast. You blink and you miss something. It's not just growing kids, it's every part of life. Are you taking time to "see" the world around you, or simply running from point A to point B.

On my recent trip to Duluth, I walked into the room where the hotel, situated on the shore of Lake Superior, had set up the continental breakfast with a view of the lake. As I walked in I noticed the sun hovering like a giant red ball, just above the lake's surface. This was unexpected, because the forecast was for more rain. I recognized the beauty before me and reached for my phone to snap a picture, but decided there was time; grabbed a bagel, a single serving of peanut butter, and a banana and made my way to a table. As I finished eating my bagel I turned back to the window, only to find that my beautiful sunrise had ascended into a cloudy sky and was gone. Why didn't I take the picture when I had the opportunity? I felt foolish.

Throughout the first chapter of the book of Genesis we are told time and again that when God finish creating this or that, he looked at it and saw it was good. I think I know how he felt. I've finished projects and sat back to admire my work, but more importantly, God, the creator, didn't rush from one task to the next. He took time to enjoy the creation before him.

Do you? Blink, and this life will pass you by.

Take time to enjoy what God created, and to enjoy those he has blessed your life with.

Genesis 1:31 (NIV)
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

3 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

thanks for making me stop and think. i need to do that sometimes. i always do it when i hear the song, "you're gonna miss this". i tear up every time!!!

Mir said...

Nice post and great reminder. :)

Brian said...

It seems to me that many of our blinks today are simply the distractions of bright shiny objects like materialism, climbing corporate ladders, leisure activities, etc. We get so caught up in these things that we miss faith, family and the overall purpose for which we were created.

Thanks for the post- great reminder to keep first things first.