26 October 2008

Race Report - Girl Scout's Summit Fall Fest 5K

Well I ran a 5K this morning. My primary motivation was that it was being held at the Summit Towne Center, and we do business there, so I went to run and to see how well our staff did prepping the property.

After a warm up run around the property, I felt a little tight, but pretty good. Starting out, I decided to position myself in the back half of the lead pack and find a pace I was comfortable with.

It's late, so I'll cut to the chase. I ran a 20:56, a 6:46 pace. Finished 21st overall and 1st in my age group. I'm happy with my time. A 1:26 off my flat course PR, but better than my most often repeated 5K time of 21:30.

The 1st place in age sound impressive until you check the stats and see that no other runner in my age bracket crossed the line before the 28 minute mark.

Rushed from the race to the soccer field to watch the twins play the second half of their last soccer game. (Ok, 3 yr olds don't really play the game, but they get to be like their big brother).

Pizza for lunch and then Jared played his last game of the fall season. I was proud. He got one shot on goal that deflected off of the goalie's head and then made a nice pass to earn an assist when his team mate scored.

Wrapped up the night with tickets to the Monster Jam monster truck event. We had a blast. I broke out the 35mm SLR and lenses and snapped 72 pics. Hope they come out. On my short list of things to buy with a few tax refund dollars is a digital SLR that we'll work with my lenses.

Oh well, it's late. Time to wind down and grab some ZZZZZZs.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Great run! I don't think I ever broke 21:30 on a 5K. But then, I'm a mid-to-back of the pack guy. Sounds like you had a good weekend. Glad to hear it.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

Thanks Brian,

My goal is to outlast the faster competition...;>)

And BTW, I was in the back of the pack of "serious" runners, so I'm there with you.

Oh, and does anyone else have fun rereading their late night postings and finding the "dumb" mispelled/misused words.

Last paragraph "We'll" s/b "Will". Duh, which way did he go? Which way did he go?