06 October 2008

Fatigue

My recent workouts have been more about conditioning that anything else. No specific race training, and in fact, very little running specific training.

I've done nearly every run for the past month on a treadmill, since it is easier to transition from there straight to the weights at the gym. In the last couple of weeks I've notice a lot of leg fatigue and discomfort. Perhaps iron deficiency???? So I've tried to eat a little red meat and get more consistent with remembering to take my multi-vitamin daily.

I've grown sloppy in my eating habits and it is showing up on the scales. I'm up about 7 lbs, and while I wish I could contribute it all to my increased weight training, I can't. So today I'm back to watching what I eat, cutting back (I hope) to no more than one diet soda per day and trying a supplement to get me through the food cravings. So far, so good.

As mentioned above, I've been feeling pretty lousy on my runs. I was planning to run a 5K at the Southern Baptist Seminary this past weekend, but then the coach of one of the softball teams I have been playing with called me to inform me that the tournament I had agreed to play in was this past weekend, not the weekend I had originally been told. So scratch the race and it was probably a good thing. My legs felt fatigued and achy all day on Saturday. That same feeling you get all over with the flu had taken up residence in my legs. The same on Sunday.

I decided to ignore the alarm this morning and to get another 1 1/2 hours of sleep/rest this morning, opting to workout on my lunch break. My legs still didn't feel great with the treadmill set at only a 8:34 pace, but my lifting felt good and I felt it was one of my most productive workouts yet.

Tomorrow I'll take my run out on the street before heading to the airport. Hopefully the legs feel better. I'm beginning to wonder if the treadmill has had some ill effects. Anyway, that's it from this end. I've got to get in shape for a 5K at a client's facility on the 25th. Dog and Pony show, but at least I get to race and perhaps I can get some fire back in my belly.

For now, I'm plodding along and trying to keep forward momentum......

No comments: