07 August 2008

A quick note...

I've added a new blog to my "Blogs of interest" list. Interesting topic on the current post, especially if you're a Southern Baptist like me who laments the fact that more SBC churches don't return to their roots and have more church social "dinner on the grounds".

My early childhood church had concrete block columns designed specifically for supporting 4x8 sheets of plywood under a shade tree, for use as a tables. Not for eating, but to set up the service lines. Oh, by the way, I'm not talking about a couple of sections, if memory serves me correctly, it was at least 32 feet long. Yep, a 128 square foot buffet table at a church whose Sunday worship attendance has likely never topped 80 people. That's some serious cooking and eating.

Anyway, the current topic touches on an interesting point about obesity in our churches (not just Southern Baptist Churches) and how we like to pick and choose what we consider sinful, i.e. "drinking alcohol is a sin, eating 4 twinkies a day and 6 tweenty ounce cokes is ok." (my words, not the other bloggers)

Have a good day!

Whoops almost forgot to say that I'd gladly add an extra long run into a week if I could experience another one of those good ol' dinner on the grounds. ;>)

4 comments:

Brian said...

Amen and Amen! Picking a choosing sins is hypocrisy and Phariseeism. How can a guy who lusts his brains out daily spend so much time looking down his nose at gays? How can someone who takes sleeping pills every night get judge someone who has a glass of wine at night to help relax and go to sleep?

How can Christians watch Desperate Housewives and then complain about those sinful Christians who watch R-rated movies?

Larger issue? Instead of looking at everyone else, maybe we need to look at self first. Lord knows, I got enough crap in my own life that I don't need to go looking for it in yours.

BTW- I love your blog. Thanks for writing.

James said...

Brian,

If you agreed with my comments, be sure to check out

http://faithfirstfitness.com/blog/

In my opinion he nails it.

Bev said...

I'm of the Church of Christ tribe and we still have the crazy big dinner on the grounds. The huge desert tables are the best. I do try to cook a healthy dish whenever we have potluck so that we all won't have to eat fifteen of the cream of chicken casserole type of dishes.

I think that is so true about picking and choosing things to focus our contempt on. I think most things would take care of themselves if we just focused on loving one another and humbly submitting to serve one another. But we are all real good at categorizing sin. And "my" sin is always in a less serious category than "yours", right?

Anonymous said...

While I am all in favor of Christian Fellowship I have also seen the otherside of the meals. It is hard to find anyone willing to organize and clean up (without them complaining about it later).
Then there is the problem of mom getting up early to fix the dish and often skipping Sunday School (Bible Study) to do so.
Or leaving worship early to set-up.
And then there are those who want to comment about the ones who only come when there is food or if this is only for church members or is it an outreach? Who has to watch the children while the Adults run off to play? And don't forget to put meals together for those who could not make it. And did I mention the clean up?

Forgive me I am working through a few issues.
Chris G