13 August 2008

Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie...

In my previous post, which I intended mainly to introduce a new blog that had touched on a topic I had before, and of course was in support of my viewpoint, I reminisced about childhood memories of church socials. Based on a couple of responses, I'd like to talk about those "Dinner on Grounds" and their glaring absence from the current church landscape.

Before diving in, let me be clear on a couple of facts. The church I spoke of is a traditional country Southern Baptist congregation dating to the 1860's, nestled in the heart of rural Georgia, (of course Atlanta's expansion is encroaching. perhaps it should be the state of Atlanta...but that's another topic) meeting in a building that looks like it belongs on the cover of the next collection of classic hymns sung by country music stars. My memories are 25 + years old and the church of my childhood and teen years located in Southern Indiana, did not, except for a few "Deacon's Cookouts", put on these types of socials during my childhood and teen years in the 1980's. So not having them is nothing new.

With that said, I lament not experiencing what, based on stories I've heard my parents tell and the old 8mm home movies I saw played on the kitchen wall, appear to have been some wonderful times of fellowship for church members. Even so I fully recognize that in today's culture and pace of life, replicating them is never going to happen. They are, along with large V8s and tail fins, a piece of Americana etched only in our memories. Beyond my generation, you won't even hear about them in sentimental country music ballads.

These days, church fellowship competes with soccer practice, second jobs, mom and dad's work schedules, jr's homework, and a myriad of other activities that we try to cram into the week, for our time and attention. The days are gone where our friends were our neighbors and/or the folks we went to church with. Now it's who we schedule our kids play dates with and who's on jr.'ettes travelling softball team. As stated by a friend who commented on my last post, cooking a dish means skipping Sunday School and "Sorry I can't clean up, my kid has XYZ to attend and we have to get going..." are just a couple of reasons why church "socials" may be more hardship than fellowship these days.

I don't criticize churches for not having them. I don't fault members for not attending. Not attending a church fellowship doesn't mean you're not putting God first. For me, trying to cram too many things, even a church event, into a hectic week leads to frustration and a "sour" heart that isn't open to experiencing and sharing Christ's love and grace with anyone else. Even so, sometimes I feel guilty for not being more active in church activities.

Whether our greed or the changing economic landscape of America has caused it, who knows, but in our current state of dual income households, "kids must play organized sports" families, and not knowing who our neighbors are, it is no surprise that "Dinners on the Grounds" have gone the way of Block Parties and Roller Skating Rinks. I'm old enough to lament their passing, yet young enough to know that nothing stays the same. Heck, based on current trends, some day my treasured hymns will be completely replaced by what one person coined "7/11 Praise Choruses". (The same seven words sung over and over eleven times)...(whoops, don't forget the chord change on repeat #5, it makes all the difference).

My closing point will be this. It isn't the setting that matters. It's the fellowship. Make time, whether with the entire church family, with a small group of Christian friends, or maybe with one close friend, to laugh, to celebrate, and don't forget...TO EAT!

"...I drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry..." (I wish today's cars had tail fins)

2 comments:

danraymac said...

I really miss the tail fins and large V8s!

Daniel

James said...

America has been on a down hill spriral since they went away.

Coincidence? Maybe not!