21 August 2008

Bits and Pieces

Just a couple of random items to get out of my head.

I should not run a fall marathon. I'm way behind the training curve and life seems destined to stand directly in my path and prevent me from getting on track. Easy thing would be to just write it off, but then comes the olympics which provided some inspiration (more on that a couple of lines down), and then there is a dogged (correct spelling s/b "dawgged", but dictionaries apparently originate north of the Mason Dixon line)determination on my part to just do it. My athletic condition remains solid, soooo...why not just do it! I'll let you know. I'm hoping to get something longer than 5 miles in this Saturday. It will be my first opportunity in close to 2 months to get in a Saturday run.

Wow, a 41 year old swimmer medals at the Olympics, a 38 year old marathoner wins gold, a 31 year old gymnast from Germany medals in vault. (I think their Olympic committee person is dislexic and didn't realize the Chinese said they were letting 13 year olds in, not 31 year olds.) Anyway, it appears there is life after 30. Heck, I thought I was in purgatory for the last eight years, guess it's time to start living again.

6 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

the lady from romania that won the marathon...WOW! she didn't stop running! she did one victory lap and then another and then another! i couldn't believe she could maintain such a pace and then not collapse! how awesome!

James said...

That was one of the most incredible athletic performances I've seen.

Everyone kept waiting for her to falter and she never did.

After having done a marathon, and knowing what you go through just to finish one, much less in 2:30-2:45, I think it was the most impressive victory of the Olympics.

Brian said...

I really hope we don't have to endure any steroid scandals after the Olympics.

As someone who did an Olympic Distance Triathlon without training for it...be careful! I was running (training for a marathon), but hadn't been riding a bike much and hadn't been swimming at all. Yeah...it was not a fun experience. I finished, but now well.

Do some long runs, bro. A 20-miler ought to let you know whether or not you're ready for a full marathon.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

I pounded out a twelve miler yesterday. 9:03 pace. I took my time with a couple of walk breaks, so most of my running was in the 7:55-8:20 range.

A friend is still planning to run the same marathon and has reached the 14 miler point in training. Looks like we're going to pick up doing some long runs together, so now I've got some more motivation.

I've got no time goal in mind. Just want to do another one this year. Mainly it will be a matter of reacquainting myself with the distance.

Will definitely get a couple of 20 milers in before the race. For me it's not just a physical necessity, but mental. Knowing I can do twenty, when I start to fatigue, I tell myself, "You can gut your way through 6.2 miles, just suck it up!"

I do appreciate the advice and that you're looking out for me. I'll post on my training to let everyone know how it goes trying to get ready in a short time.

Brian said...

I'll look forward to reading your progress, bro, as I continue in my neverfailing quest to live vicariously through others!

James said...

Vicariously,

What are you talking about. Based on what I've been reading, you're logging longer runs than I.