17 March 2008

Not Much

Not much going on lately so not much to write about, plus with Jina down for the week, wasn't much time. Up early to run, then get everyone dressed, off to work, pick Jared up from school, home to work from the kitchen table, cook dinner, clean, get everyone ready for bed, clean up some more, repeat.
Logged a 20 miler on Sunday. 2 short of what I had hoped to log. I bonked, hit the wall, at mile 19. The last mile my legs felt like they had exploded. I even had pain in my quads, something I haven't had happen before. Anyway, I came home as Jina was headed out to Sunday School. I stretched, showered, and made it to Worship Service.
You know a lot of runners talk about running being a "spiritual" experience, well for me it is. No, I don't find my inner child or some inner peace or reconnect with myself or discover who I was in a past life. For me I get to clear my mind of all the clutter that accumulates throughout the week and as I do I'm able to focus more clearly on how God has blessed me and to reaffirm my trust in His will. While missing Sunday School was a bummer, going to worship with a clear mind and fresh perspective was a wonderful experience. Every message seemed to penetrate a little deeper and find it's mark.
I'll do one more 20 miler, sticking with my fueling/walking plan that served me well on my 17 miler and which I failed to follow on this 20 miler. My eyes are getting heavy and I'm starting to nod off, so good night.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Hey James!

Just realized that I forgot to return your email. I'm sorry. School, work, parents, etc. You know... I wanted to run with Scotty again, but haven't had the time to try to set it up with him.

I hope Jina's back heals up soon.

Running 3 20-milers before a marathon is more than tough enough. I'm looking forward to reading your race report. And reading about how good that steak tastes after you run.

Peace,
Brian

James said...

I'm thinking about ditching the steak.

We have a top notch pizza place in Louisville that is inching up the food chain.

I really want to get three under my belt. I know I can finish the Marathon, and that is my ultimate goal, but I'd also like to hit the 4 hr mark.

So I hope another torturous 20 miler will build up the endurance. The other thing is that my GPS went down on this one and I just kinda went by feel on my fueling and hydration, which as is usually the case, not spaced or timed as well as it could have been. I won't to try out my game plan one last time to see what adjustments if any I need to make.

No apologies needed for the email, you took the time to get me the info I needed, and I appreciate it. Take care of yourself

James

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i hope jina back gets better! no steak? what's the pizza joint? i like pizza too!

James said...

Wick's Pizza may be the new location.