10 March 2008

Does My 20 miler count?

OK, I woke up Sunday with no motivation or desire to run 20 miles (weather had cancelled church services). Then as luck would have it, Jina blows out her back running the hand vac to clean up crumbs in our den. That results in a trip to the urgent care center near our house. Nope, 2+ hr wait time. Head to New Albany to discover the center there can't give me an estimate, but there are 6 to 7 in front of us. We head home to self-medicate and, if no improvement, see the family doctor in the morning.

Well, my wife's idea of self medicate started with an ice cream cone to ease the pain. She orders a kid's size, but when I order, she tells me to get 2 dips, because she wants a bite of mine. I don't know how many calories was in that thing, but I don't think that much Peanut Butter Chip ice cream is good for you. (Yes Alicia, we stopped at your favorite place.)

At home, she heads to bed and I assume domestic duties. Let me pause here to tell you how great my kids are. From trying to help mom when she first got hurt, to their excellent behavior right up through bed time, they were awesome. My oldest (6) behaved as if he were 20 and my two little guys (2 1/2) behaved like young teens. (In a positive manner).

While Jaden and Jordan slept, Jared and I got in one more hour of sledding. On the way home I concocted the notion to run the 2.2 mile loop through the neighborhoods, stopping in on each loop to check in, as a way to get my run in. Upon getting home, the kids need changed and fed, the dog needs fed, etc, etc... At least I did put on my running shirt and shorts and shoes. Well I'm dressed, so I decide to run. I decide to do my 20 miles on our treadmill.

Our Treadmill is a Nordic Track model with a built in TV. A good retail store model, but I wasn't sure about putting 20 miles on it at one time. So I decide to work running into taking care of everything else, so I can give the machine a chance to rest, plugged the head phones in and got started. 1 mile=change into a sleeveless shirt. 3 miles=fill a sippy cup. 7 miles=get something for Jina. 10 miles=1.5 hr break to fix dinner for the kids, pick up the house, get the kids ready for bed, etc. Now everyone is asleep and it's 9:40. Back to the treadmill. Man it hurts trying to get back started. Finally things loosened up, but fatigue became a factor at the 15 mile mark, still I kept going, walking some, and ended my night with 20 miles over 174 minutes running. For the first 14 miles I kept the pace pegged on 8:30 minute pace. Beginning at the 15 mile mark I had to mix in running @8:30, jogging @ 6:00, and walking @ 4:00 paces.

I burned 2700 calories, so hopefully I managed to burn up the ice cream, and I'm counting the run. Next week = 22 miles and then I start shortening them up a little at a time.

1 comment:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

yummy! i was just thinking that this baby needs to be introduced to that place! i can't believe i've not done it yet!