02 March 2008

Another Step....

towards the full Marathon. 17 miler today before church. Did 12 of it before I reached for the MP3 player, and the battery was dead. Oh well, the birds were singing. I think my time was 2:36 +/- a few seconds. I averaged 9:11 per mile. Walked twice, one = 4 minutes and about 2 tenths of a mile, my times when running were hovering in the 8:30 per mile range, which makes it perhaps the "best" run I've ever had as far as distance and performance combined.

Anyway, these runs always leave me amazed at the things the human body can do. Not because of any conditioning I have, but purely from the aspect of how perfectly God formed it. A side note that continues to pop into my head is what they told us about my mom's rehab for her stroke. As long as she and they continued to move her non-responsive parts, the brain would receive signals that something was trying to take place in those regions and reroute impulses around the damage areas of the brain to regain control. Not perfect mind you. Mom has to literally think about wanting her leg to move, but overall, I'm impressed with what the Potter has fashioned. Now if I can keep from breaking it.

4 comments:

Brian said...

OK- you ran 17 miles before church? Dude- I remember those days! I'd run long or ride a bike for 3-4 hours before church, come into the service and sleep! My wife would wake me up. Which bummed me out because my friend's wife let him keep sleeping. (The church was in a movie theater, so the seats were soft and the lights were low).

17 miles already? What's your longest training run and how much taper are you going to give yourself?

Oh- great book to recommend: Marathon by Hal Higdon...

Anyway- good on ya, from one FOG (fat old guy-me) to one fit marathoner (you).

James said...

I'm scheduling my self for a 20 miler this week, but snow and temps may put a crimp on that. We'll see. I ran 6 this morning on the treadmill. Throw in shoveling some snow for neighbors and now I'm going sledding with the kids, so I may call it my workout???????

My last marathon I did 2 twenty milers as my longest. I'm thinking I will probably do a 20 and a 22 miler. Begin tapering my long runs first of April, run a 10 mile race 2 weeks before the marathon, 8 miles the weekend before and go very light on my weekly mileage, 2 to 3 miles for 3 to 4 days the week before the marathon.

Mir said...

Wow, great work on that long run. Your training must be going well. :) Keep it up!

James said...

Mir,

Yes, things have been going pretty good.

I've got to get myself motivated for this 20 miler. I'm being lazy this weekend???????