26 March 2008

I'm proud to be an American

Despite belonging to a denomination known for its conservative theology and for several outspoken conservative talk show hosts, I don't fall lock step with the "doom and gloom" crowd that America is going to "hell in a handbasket". Without getting too far into that argument, let's just say that I am a proponent of reaching the lost for Christ, not getting candidate X elected to office. We've survived leadership from both sides of the aisle for over 200 years, I'm not ready to write us off yet.

One source of my pride as an American comes from attending sporting events. While there are always a few irreverent dummies, I've found that stadiums and ball parks and arenas fall silent as our national anthem plays, errupting as the words "land of the free and the home of the brave!" echo throughout the venue. I am amazed everytime.

A greater source of pride was evident today as I sat in the ATL. Sorry, trying to be hip. Actually I was just at the airport waiting on a Delta flight to Nashville. The seating area was filled with quite a few soldiers, many with the 82nd Airborne's patch on their sleeve. I asked a soldier across from me if he was headed to Fort Campbell, he said yes. I shook his hand, thanked him for his service, told him to stay safe and boarded the plane. After the same soldier had boarded and taken a seat behind me, I heard another business traveler talking to him. The soldier said he was headed home for 18 days, having spent 3 days traveling back from Iraq for leave and couldn't wait to see his wife.

As we taxied to to the terminal the Delta crew announced our arrival and thanked the troops on board. Applause rippled through the plane as we did our best to show our appreciation. As I exited the plane, two young wives or girlfriends chatted eagerly, awaiting their special passengers. As I headed down the corridor to the rental counter, a group of family and friends paused for a picture with their two soldiers and a collection of small American flags and welcome home signs. Then, as I approached the rental car area, a mother with a young son dressed in camo fatigues approached from my right, and as I turned my head back I saw a young father in fatigues approaching, a smile on his face as his son raced to meet him. As he knelt to greet his son, I kept my eyes focused on the scene as the escalator took me down one level. A large smile was plastered on my face, so that should they look up and notice a stranger staring, they would know that stranger was thinking, "Welcome home. Thank You. You are our heroes."

So whenever you're wanting to write off this country because you think it is too corrupt, has turned its back on God, or....fill in the blank.... Stop a moment, and remember there are those who are still willing to sacrifice for this country. In fact they are doing it as I type this. So how about a little less griping and moaning. Spend the time praying for our men and women who seem to think this country is still worth something...just a little something called...their lives.

3 comments:

Brian said...

This year's St. Pat's Day Parade in Roanoke featured servicemen. We clapped loudly and several of us said, "Thank you" to these brave men and women. My wife and I had tears in our eyes.

That does not mean that for me I don't believe America is pretty much finished. I do. No griping or moaning at this point. Just a basic belief that we will be finished shortly as a country. And I know we disagree on that point. But I am still patriotic and get a lump in my throat every time I consider what our soldiers are doing to ensure our current freedom.

Honestly, I wonder if the fate of the US will be the loss of current borders and the beginning of a North American Union. I do know that, as near as I can tell, America does not figure in the book of Revelation. And Israel does. And scholars used to laugh at Israel's part, but since 1948 are no longer laughing.

Peace bro,
Brian

James said...

But doesn't that depend on whether you believe Revelation was written about the 1st century church, is currently in progress, or is a future prophecy yet to be fulfilled.

How one interprets Revelation can effect ones world view.

Anyway, too deep of a subject for me tonight. That one is best left to friendly debate and banter over coffee and a bagel.

Seems we agree that this country is still filled with brave men and women.

Brian said...

Yes, it is. And I stand in awe and glad appreciate at their willingness to give their very lives for you and for me.

Quick Rabbit Trail: One of the reasons that I love the director's cut of "The Butterfly Effect" is that in the end, the main character realizes that the only way to end the suffering he causes and witnesses is to never have been born. So he goes back into the womb after conception and ends his life.

The movie is disturbing, but the original cut for it involved Ashton Kutcher very much as a Christ figure.

OK, Rabbit Mode: OFF